Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Too slow after start up.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 drg3824

drg3824

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:42 AM

Running vista. After coming online, computer is way too slow. Takes forever for anything to come up. Ran disc clean up and defrag, cleared casche, ran junkware removal and adware cleaner, and nothing worked. This is not my computer, belongs to a relative i was trying to help. The computer in question is a gateway. I recently had similar problems, ran the above then this computer is now running like new. Has to be something else with hers. Thanks. Another thing. I removed several pages of crap after running the above and also disabled the norton for now.

Edited by drg3824, 29 November 2013 - 11:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djm1k0

djm1k0

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:30 PM

Running vista. After coming online, computer is way too slow. Takes forever for anything to come up. Ran disc clean up and defrag, cleared casche, ran junkware removal and adware cleaner, and nothing worked. This is not my computer, belongs to a relative i was trying to help. The computer in question is a gateway. I recently had similar problems, ran the above then this computer is now running like new. Has to be something else with hers. Thanks. Another thing. I removed several pages of crap after running the above and also disabled the norton for now.

do you have any more info on the machine specs... how much ram  ? aside from that Vista is horrible, and norton uses a huge footprint of resources on a machine it being a gateway i'd imagine its a bit old with lilttle ram however please provide some more info so that we may be able to help more

#3 drg3824

drg3824
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Thanks. I just talked to her and she doesn't know how much ram is installed, very little i suspect. I told her to consider a new poackage since her's is obsolete. I tried to help the best i could. I suggested the geek squad at Best Buy for a cleaning and inspection and install of more Ram. I think a new package is a better idea. I don't expect her to move too quickly on this issue. The things i do know about computers i learned from this site/community.

#4 djm1k0

djm1k0

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:43 PM

Cool yeah if the machine is old then upping the ram is just gonna be the tip if the iceberg most def should just look into a new machine. I'd avoid geek squad try to find a local repair shop as geek squad just gonna over charge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users