Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 freezes totally when left idle ?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Focus123

Focus123

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:33 AM

Hi guys I have an issue here that I'm 'hoping' some of you might be able to point me in the right direction in getting it sorted.

Basically about 1 month ago a good friend of mine purchased a brand new acer desktop comptuer, I haven't got the exact model to hand as he lives 200 kilometers from me and he's not tech savvy at all, however, from what I remember of it, it's windows 8 x64, 4gb ram and i3 processor, so not bad at all.

When he got it I set it up for him as in just put in the regional setting etc.. and ran through the initial set up and all went well. I installed all his programs and all was good.

So about a month on he rang me and said his computer is just freezing randomly always when it's left idle for 10 minutes or so and this happens all day every day.

He said he didn't install any software or hardware.

I'm stumped to what it is at this stage that could be causing it.

This is what I asked him to do over the phone.

..... Ran hitman pro which said all was clean.

.....Ran chkdsk /f which was fine

.....Went into power options and set both screen and sleep to never

....Ran sfc /scannow which said it found some corrupt file but could not fix all (ran this from command prompt from inside windows as admin)

I've guided him through all this over the phone but I will see him during the week so just wondering if you have any suggestions on what could be a quick fix for this ?

This is only a new pc, so if I can't sort the problem rather than doing a fresh install and checking all the hardware internally I'm wondering if he should bring it back to the shop as it's only a month old, or would I be better of doing the fresh install ?

He uses it daily so time could be an issue if it was left back to the shop and they wanted to have a look at it for a few days but I dont want to mess up his warranty either.

Any suggestions ?

Cheers

Focus

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users