Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD with both GPUs on Lenovo Y580

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 thepolishkiller

thepolishkiller

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hi! At the start I'll mention that I am an "IT guy" (actually IT student)  so I have some higher than basic knowledge about the stuff going on with my computers but now even I am lost... :( I will start from the very beggining of my troubles - that might be a long story!

So, one day (quite a bit ago) I was playing League of Legends with friends like I did for over a year after purchasing my Y580 and the in-game "bug splat" error occured. It is not something unusual, it happens to people a lot in this particular game so I was like "meh, again they f*** up something with the patch". Then the system notification told me that "driver stopped working but has recovered" or something like that, which was a first time for me. I googled the problem but before I could read anything the screen froze and I had a first BSOD since installing Windows 8 (and I have it for a year straight now). It was IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL pointing at nvlddmkm.sys, part of Nvidia drivers.

I started doing obvious things - ran Windows in safe mode, everything was working fine. Then I removed Nvidia drivers completely, including registry entries and stuff. System loded in normal mode and was working - previously the blue screen was appearing before my Windows 8 login page even loaded. I managed to play games on Intel HD GPU and do my usuall stuff without any problems - as expected to be honest.

I did a memtest back then, also did it few days ago for 6+ hours without any errors. I also ran sfc /scannow and chdksk without errors if I am not wrong.

Then I tried installing various Nvidia drivers. No success. Next - I installed the drivers that came with laptop on CD. Quite old, 2xx.xx ones. The system loaded, I logged in all happy, but then when I entered Nvidia Control Panel the BSOD appeared again... I decided to format my drive and installed Windows 8.1 (about which I kind of forgot, so that's why 8.1 not back to 8 - I was about to upgrade anyway, so seemd like not bad opportunity 16x16_smiley-tongue.gif - not perfect one I have to admit). Blue screen again, same thing. I did complete system reset, then started to install the Windows 8.1 drivers from Lenovo's site with Nvidia ones being last and... suprise, suprise, BSOD appeared before the installation even finished.

So then I tried disabling the Nvidia GPU with drivers running, it launched to Windows and no BSOD, but I think that doesn't change anything. I've read A LOT threads about those kind of issues, but nothing seems to be like mine to be honest :o So I left my GTX 660M disabled - I'm an IT student as I mentioned so I can't afford to be left without a laptop for even a few days, so I didn't send it to service yet.

Now the funny part - I was playing LoL on Intel card for almost 2 months now since the GeForce BSOD occured. And recently I installed Path of Exile, which gives me the IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL BSODs after 5-10 minutes into the game (even on lowest graphics settings)! :D (League is running ok on pretty high details... so probably not temperature related? I don't really know now...)

What would you advise me to do? Shall I run all system files checks and chdksk again? Is this software or hardware issue? I'd just like to fix it if it's software, but I tried SO MANY things already that I'm closer to saying it's hardware stuff, but maybe you guys will be able to help me and maybe it will be a software issue - so help me God! :D

I'm attaching my minidump folder zipped, I will appreciate ANY help, thanks a lot in advance just for reading my story, thanks even more if you will try to help me!

Attached File  minidump.zip   233.4KB   1 downloads

Greetings,

David.

Edited by thepolishkiller, 29 November 2013 - 10:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Hi David

Since you are familiar with computers, i will cut the crap and go directly to the troubleshooting. Please follow the below steps.

1. First uninstall both "Intel" and "Nvidia" drivers completely from the system. Laptops require tweaked drivers  specifically created for them rather than generic ones. If the Nividia adapter is disabled via BIOS, please enable it.

2. Then uninstall "Intel Rapid Storage Technology" driver and "Intel Wireless LAN driver" completely. Current versions are not compatible with "Win 8.1".

iaStor.sys                  Wed Nov 30 09:09:19 2011 
Intel Storage drivers

NETwNs64.sys                Fri Dec  2 12:20:55 2011 
Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5000 Series Adapter Driver for Windows 7

3. Now update the drivers in the order i posted.

IRST : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23060/a08/SetupRST.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=23060&ProductID=2101&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel%C2%AE+RST)

WLAN : https://downloadcenter.intel.com/confirm.aspx?httpDown=http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23044/eng/Wireless_16.1.1_De64.exe&lang=eng&Dwnldid=23044&ProductID=3062&ProductFamily=Wireless+Networking&ProductLine=Intel%C2%AE+Wi-Fi+Products&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+WiFi+Link+5300+and+Intel%C2%AE+WiFi+Link+5100+products

Intel HD Graphics : http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/ivga200w8164.exe

Nvidia Graphics : http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/nvga200w8164.exe

4. Set Nvidia as the preferred graphic processor for all games.

Please follow steps 1 o 8 of this guide exactly - http://serato.com/video/support/15693/changing-graphics-card-settings-to-use-your-dedicated-gpu-on-a-windows-computer

On step 7 , apply the setting for all your games instead of the example program.

#3 thepolishkiller

thepolishkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:25 PM

Hi Anshad!

First of all thank you very much for your quick response ;) I did exactly as you said but there were more BSODs after installing the Intel graphics drivers and from what I've seen one minidump says that it's fault of nvidia driver... which doesn't even exist on my computer at the moment :o (I even did "uninstall driver" through device manager to be sure, along with deleting the drivers you told me to remove). I am not a minidumps-guy, maybe I got it wrong, so here is another pack from me, hope it helps.

Attached File  minidump2.zip   89.93KB   1 downloads

PS If it helps or changes anything I think I could live without Rapid Storage and/or Intel wifi drivers, I don't really use wifi that much at the moment and even if I will the basic Windows drivers should handle it I guess.

PS2 Not sure if I wrote it well, but the 1st BSOD on nVidia card appeared "out of the blue" (irony at it's best...) while playing, it wasn't like I changed drivers or something, that's why I was afraid it might be hardware issue, but maybe something got updated automatically, maybe I forgot to turn off some auto updates since I don't do them by default, I prefer to do it manually.

Edited by thepolishkiller, 29 November 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#4 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:46 AM

Hi

As you said, new crash dump also blames Nvidia video driver. If manufacturer's own driver is also producing BSOD, i would suspect a hardware failure. Can you downgrade the OS to "Windows 7" and check how the system works ?.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 November 2013 - 02:46 AM.

#5 thepolishkiller

thepolishkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 03:15 AM

Well I'd rather not downgrade. But! Like 30 minutes ago I completely removed Intel Rapid Storage driver because I've got an BSOD pointing at this driver while trying to run SpeedFan (!!!), so I uninstalled it and I could play Path of Exile for 20+ minutes without BSOD, so I think that part is solved since BSODs on Intel GPU in PoE were appearing always before like 10 minutes from entering the game. Now I will try to install Nvidia driver and will update if something changed, hope it will be solved too, if not then at least I can play PoE :D

EDIT1 I managed to install the driver without BSOD which earlier was impossible, so maybe it will work. Off to restart :D

EDIT2 Aaaand a BSOD. And another one, right after removing all Nvidia drivers :o could you take a look at this and tell me what it's about? oO

Attached File  minidump4.zip   30.54KB   1 downloads

Edited by thepolishkiller, 30 November 2013 - 04:11 AM.

#6 thepolishkiller

thepolishkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:56 AM

So, the only issue I have left is with Nvidia GPU and I guess it will be a hardware issue... I think I solved the Intel & Path of Exile in-game BSOD by removing Intel Rapid Storage driver, will check it today for sure by playing tons of the game :D Nvidia GPU remains the same, after installing drivers in safe mode I can't boot into Windows because of BSOD, if I boot with GPU disable and enable it in Windows it gets instant BSOD. RIP my GPU I guess :(

#7 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:08 AM

Hi

New crash dump blames "Windows Kernel" in the probably caused line.

BugCheck A, {10, 2, 1, fffff803b1e3e97f}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KeAcquireInStackQueuedSpinLock+2f )

But if we inspect the raw call stack, we can see lots of graphic driver activities so it is obviously related to the display driver.

ffffd000`207b9098  fffff800`01b7f478 nvlddmkm+0xe0478

ffffd000`207b90a0  ffffe000`024a2ce0
ffffd000`207b90a8  ffffd000`207b91f0
ffffd000`207b90b0  00000000`0000000d
ffffd000`207b90b8  fffff800`01b6e331 nvlddmkm+0xcf331
ffffd000`207b90c0  00000000`00000000
ffffd000`207b90c8  ffffe000`00000001
ffffd000`207b90d0  fffff800`01ee138c nvlddmkm+0x44238c
ffffd000`207b90d8  ffffe000`4d52564e
ffffd000`207b90e0  00000000`00000001
ffffd000`207b90e8  fffff800`01ee14f6 nvlddmkm+0x4424f6

#8 thepolishkiller

thepolishkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

Well, so I guess the card is broken or something :( I still have few months of warranty left so whenever I will be able to bare with not having laptop for few days I'll try to send it to service and get fixed... so I will have do backups of tons of things again, fml :D

#9 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

Do you have any chance to get another memory module from a friend for testing purpose?. If the shared video memory part of the RAM is faulty, it can produce BSOD blaming display driver. If the laptop is under warranty, you can directly submit it for replacement as either RAM or the GPU might be the culprit.

Edited by Anshad Edavana, 30 November 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#10 thepolishkiller

thepolishkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:14 AM

I will ask here and there, but well, I did a long memtest without errors, doesn't it rule out memory problems?

#11 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:07 AM

Hi

Although "Memtest86+" is largely successful at detecting memory issues, there are several issues it won't detect or detect only after running for an extended period of time (like 24 hr). Since the laptop is still under warranty, i would suggest doing a clean install (of course after backup the data) and make sure the issue is hardware related. Then finding whether it is a failed RAM or GPU is the responsibility of "Lenovo".    

#12 thepolishkiller

thepolishkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:11 AM

Well... new BSOD, after like 15 minutes of playing I got DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION.

Attached File  minidump5.zip   26.55KB   1 downloads

Does it make the case more clear? First time for me with this one, always had IRQL ones :P

#13 Anshad Edavana

Anshad Edavana

• Members
  • 2,805 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:28 AM

Hi

It doesn't give us any clues other than blaming the kernel.

BugCheck 133, {1, 1e00, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+13e32 )

This is exactly why i suspected a hardware issue.

#14 thepolishkiller

thepolishkiller
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 07:30 AM

Ok then, I will think if I want to test things with other memory stick or if I'll wait until I have the time to send laptop to service. Thanks for your help once again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users