Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"pci.sys missing or corrupt" error on a netbook

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Olyabusha

Olyabusha

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 09:29 AM

Hello everyone! I am in desperate need of some advice because my netbook stopped working unexpectedly :(

I have a Dell Inspiron Mini 1011 netbook with no CD drive, it runs on Windows XP. I got it in 2008 and I didn't have a single problem with my netbook until today. Yesterday everything was fine, I didn't install any new software in months, my netbook wasn't connected to Internet. Yesterday I just closed it as usual, and today when I open it, Windows does not boot. Blue screen appeared, and when my computer restarted I got "pci.sys missing or corrupt" error. I don't know what to do :( I know you guys hate it when people don't create backups, and I am one of those people, so I'm hoping that my data won't be lost. I really need my netbook working again, but I have no idea how I fix it. I hope you will have some suggestions, or should I bring it to a service center, would they be able to help me?

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

See if you can get this netbook to boot into 'Safe mode'. According to information to hand, you do this by pressing the 'F8' key at the boot screen (the one that has 'Dell' all over it) but it may be 'F12'. Once you get there, use the up and down arrow keys to select 'Start Windows in last known good configuration'. Since your problem only started in the last 48 hours, this should work.

If it doesn't, re-boot the computer into 'Safe mode' and choose 'Windows repair', this may well not work - it often doesn't - but will then offer you the chance to restore the computer to an earlier point in time. Select a repair point that dates from before this problem began and this will put your computeer back to where it was then.

If none of these 'cures' work, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Olyabusha

Olyabusha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:54 PM

Thank you for replying!

Unfortunately, I can't boot it into Safe mode. I press F8 or just choose it using up arrow key when I see options like 'Safe mode', 'Safe mode with networking', etc. It starts loading drivers, and after about 5 seconds it stops and I get the same message that Windows can't boot because pci.sys is missing or corrupt. I also tried choosing 'Last known settings that worked', but got the same 'result'.

I really can't imagine what could have happened to my netbook in a night, when I just shut it down as usual, absolutely no changes were made. I can't think of any reason...

#4 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:08 PM

You may have lost the file due to  virus clean up,i think you have to make a recovery cd to fix this.

Ive not experienced this one,but the pci.sys file seems to exist in multiple locations so you may be able to replace it if you

can boot your system with a cd.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/missing-or-corrupt-system32driverspcisys-error/85e7c37f-21e4-46dc-acde-b6b642428130

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/xp-system32driverspcisys-missing-or-corrup/198419.html

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:22 AM

The corrupt or missing system file might also be due to a faulty drive. Try running a diagnostic test first to check on the health status just in case.

Tekken

#6 Olyabusha

Olyabusha
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:39 AM

But there was no virus clean up... Thanks for the links, I've read those, but I don't have a CD drive, so I can't boot my system with the CD.

jhayz, how do I run a diagnostic test? Would appreciate your help :)

Edited by Olyabusha, 30 November 2013 - 04:40 AM.

#7 Wolverine 7

Wolverine 7

• Members
  • 746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:47 AM

Well if your netbook wont take an eternal cd drive you could try a flash drive

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/s/booting+windows+recovery+disc+flash+drive+external+hard+drive/

#8 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:01 AM

If you're hardware skills are fair, and have a desktop computer, you could always crack the case open (real pain) and pull the hard drive out.  Then hook the drive up to your desktop with a regular data and power cables for SATA and scan the drive that way.

Kind of extreme way to go, but if the flash drive option doesn't work for you there's always that.

Edited by Trakeen, 01 December 2013 - 02:02 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users