Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Minor questions

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:12 AM

1) Is there a way to change the color of the blue screen that displays the accounts one can choose from to a matte black color like which is used for the screen when logging in and shutting down the computer? 

2) How do I close processes of programs that do not have a close button? I grow weary of having to end the processes of, for example, PC settings and Photos, through the task manager after dragging them to the bottom of the screen to close them. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:45 PM

You can change the color of your Account login page by changing the background color of of the start screen in personalization. You can close Programs with out the Close button (Windows Apps) by pressing Alt + f4

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:39 AM

My Start Screen is a matte black/grey. Despite that, my Account Login page is a high-contrast blue, which is very annoying. It's the page after the Lock Screen that lists all of the accounts on the computer and allows you to select the one you want to log into. There is also a button at the bottom left-hand corner of the screen that allows you to display an on-screen keyboard as well as a few other options. Changing the color of the screen isn't one of them, though. 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 30 November 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#4 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:12 AM

Here are images.

http://postimg.org/image/wfb5e66wf/

http://postimg.org/image/w4d0snp4h/

#5 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:16 AM

Also, I tried using alt-f4 to close running apps. While it does the make the app disappear, it doesn't close the processes associated with the app. Apparently, Windows 8.1 is suppose to automatically shut down the processes of apps that have not been recently used, but I don't know how long that takes. I'd prefer if I could just close the processes when I close an app. 

Edit: 

Never mind. I jumped the gun a little. It takes a couple of seconds for the process to end. 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 30 November 2013 - 02:18 AM.

#6 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 02:37 AM

:) I will check the color settings again on my pc's when I'm at my desk (looks different trying to rdp from my android phone)
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

To get the account screen to change from blue to gray select one of the colors on the Start Screen settings on the far right (orange or teal).

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:39 AM

I'm confused. Are you telling me to change the background and accent colors of my Start Screen from black/gray to orange/teal, and that will make my Account Screen gray? 

Edit: 

I'm not sure if that's what you mean, but I tried it and it didn't work. 

Edited by Dark Magician Girl, 30 November 2013 - 10:45 AM.

#9 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:56 AM

I just found this: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-change-the-logon-screen-color-in-windows-8-1/

The author states there is no way to change the color of the logon screen from that atrocious blue color. Apparently he developed a tool that allows one to change the color of the logon screen. I guess it makes a registry change. If it's really that easy, I don't see why Microsoft didn't just give us a way to change it... 

#10 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

Yeah, it's just a simple registry tweak. I don't understand why Microsoft didn't just give us an option to select colors for the logon screen. It probably would've been very easy for them to implement. 

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 05:05 PM

Sorry for the late reply, You are correct in your findings. When I was making changes I got the Lock screen and the Login screen mixed up. Also I was referring to the Color's teal or organge with the gray surround although it wouldnt have made a difference  :wink: Thanks for the tip. Microsoft Couldn't possibly guess all the changes a user wants to make. Thats what keeps the aftermarket programmers busy  :thumbup2:

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#12 Dark Magician Girl

Dark Magician Girl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 230 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:57 PM

I'm not so disappointed about the inability to customize the logon screen as I am disappointed in that Microsoft thought it would be okay to make the default color an atrocious high-contrast purple color. They could've at least made the screen a matte black/gray color, which is so much easier on the eyes, like Linux Mint has. Anyway, considering they've given us the ability to customize the Start Screen, Lock Screen, and Desktop to our liking it seems like a no-brainer to take it further to the Logon Screen. Regardless, they can implement an update after the fact that allows us to easily customize the Logon Screen. This is what it's going to come down to. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users