Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Major hard drive issues (i think) when trying to install OS after RMA

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 hypakz

hypakz

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:35 PM

Hi guys. So this is a long story, i'll try to condense it as much as possible.
Built my first computer. Everything was fine. Then my hard drive started squealing and it would freeze until the squealing stopped. This would come and go. I deduced that it was a capacitor issue and filed an RMA with Western Digital. 

When my new HDD came I tried to clone the drive. But every time the cloning got to a certain sector the original HDD would squeal again and freeze. I could not clone. I backed up all my data and wanted to do a clean install of windows on my new HDD.

I only have the media upgrade for windows 7, so I tried using that first. I got the message "windows cannot partition selected drive" when I booted to the install disk. I contacted Western Digital and they RMA'd me again.

Third drive came, same problem. I tried deleting all existing partitions and make a new one to install on but same result. I thought it might be the disk. So i downloaded a windows iso file to a flash drive and tried that. Again it could not format. However, if i formatted the disk using my existing windows (connecting my working-but dying hard drive and the new one and then using disk manager) I could create partitions.

Then If i tried to install using the iso file on the flash drive I could get to the installation I would inevitably get some error about not being able to transfer files or not being able to copy files required for installation or not being able to set the offline locale information during install. None of these mean anything to me. I tried using windows 7 enterprise iso instead, but that didn't work either.

I then tried installing Ubuntu to my HDD, using the flash drive. Again I got the "cannot partition the disk" error.

It doesn't seem possible that BOTH of my RMA HDD's are broken. It has to be something else, right?

I have no idea what to do, have spent a week on this, am nervous I won't get it fixed and am at a complete loss. Please, any help would be appreciated so much. I have no idea where to go from here.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:34 AM

Stab in the dark, but in the bios what hare the hard drives set to? Should be 3 options, IDE, RAID, and ASCII (I think might have the letters confused) it should be set to IDE. Do you have another working hard drive laying around, perhaps one you can borrow from another computer for testing purposes? Its rare, but getting 3 doas in a row isn't unheard of, but it could also be the hard drive controller on the motherboard. Testing a known working hard drive in it could help verify this is the case.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 hypakz

hypakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:22 AM

Thanks so much for the reply!

My bios were in ASCH for the sata type. I switched to IDE but still had the same "cannot partition" issue. To my knowledge ASCH is just a newer format from IDE so it shouldn't affect my ability to install Windows. ASCH was my default.

I was also able to boot Windows on my old hard drive usingthe same sata connection. It looks like it jjust finally died on me, but to my knowledge because I could still use my old hdd that rules out a bad mobo controller, right? Again I'm not 100% sure about any of this so let me know if I'm wrong!

Thanks so much for the help, I really need to get this working and I just have no idea what to do. Any further ideas would be great.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:38 AM

If the old drive boots just fine, then I would assume you got a bad hard drive. Its odd, I've personally never had a WD go bad on me not alone 3. Did you just throw the old drive in, or did you try partitioning and installation? If all you did was throw it in, try installing windows on it, to eliminate bad installation media.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 hypakz

hypakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:15 PM

I just connect the old hard drive and put it in the drive Bay and it starts right up. Then if I take it out and put in a new drive in place I get the "cannot partition" error.

I am reluctant to try to install Windows on my old drive because it's the only one that works and that I can use my computer on.

I don't think it's a media issue. I tried the Windows 7 install disk, Windows 7 Ultimate iso on a flash drive, Windows 7 enterprise iso, and Ubuntu iso.

I really am leaning towards some sort of issue with the bios/motherboard because it seems like one of these 2 rma drives wouldn't be broken. But that fact that the old drive works without issue confuses me.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:36 PM

I wouldn't try and format the entire drive-just create a new partition for a dual boot. You may have installed it on multiple formats-but if the source you got it from was corrupt it won't make any difference.

Just out of curiosity, what specific hard drives are you using and what specific motherboard?

picard5.jpg

#7 hypakz

hypakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

True about the source of the iso, however all 3 were from different places and the Ubuntu was from their official website so I would imagine one of the iso would have worked. Or the Windows 7 disk.

My mobile is msi z87 g45-gaming and my hdd is western digital blue 1tb - wd10ezex

Edited by hypakz, 29 November 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#8 hypakz

hypakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

I just tried diskpart from my Windows install disk and got this:

Diskpart has encountered an error:the parameter is incorrect. See the system even log for more information

Any help?

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:42 PM

What does the syslog say? And have you tried a different data cable and/or putting the WD digital drive in another computer and seeing what happens?

picard5.jpg

#10 hypakz

hypakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

How do I check the syslog? I'm in the command prompt on the installation disk. What do I put in to find what I need?

I cannot check the hard drive on another computer at this time. When I go back to school I'm gonna take it to the tech department and have them test it. I'll also check a data cable then too.

Is it possible it's a problem with the motherboard and the new drive? It sees it, but could a controller/driver issue on the mobo be to blame? My old hdd worked, but I'm just trying to come up with ideas here..

Thanks again for your help. I really just want to get this solved. It's an expensive computer to have unusable.

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:57 PM

Its very possible that its the motherboard, in my experience MSI boards have a high failure rate. Its also possible, though unlikely that you managed to get a third defective drive in a row which is why I suggested trying to install windows on the drive you know works or trying the new drive in another system, so as to figure out exactly what the problem is.

Its been awhile but it seems to me syslog should be in the command prompt in the windows installation menu, however its been so long since I've used it I could be mistaken, I'll look it up later when I have more time, I'm on the way out the door now. However if you do one of the things I've suggested you won't have to mess with the syslog.

picard5.jpg

#12 hypakz

hypakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:10 PM

I have been leaning towards it maybe being the motherboard as well. There's only one issue and I'd love to get your opinion:

Why does my old drive still work?
I could plug my old drive in, boot and use Windows normally and do whatever I want. Then if I shut down and unplugged the hard drive and used the exact same cable and everything in one of the rma's and tried to install Windows I'd get the formating error.

Does that make sense? What on the motherboard wouldn't be working that would allow me to boot one hard drive but not install windows on a new one?

Obviously I don't wanna rma my motherboard if I don't have to, because of the pain of dis and re assembly. But what's your opinion?

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,759 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:17 PM

That's exactly why I'm trying to get you to try installing an operating system on the old drive. The problem maybe the motherboard isn't able to partition/format, but otherwise transfer data fine. If you try to install a operating system on the old drive and you encounter the same problem, then the problem is with your motherboard, either a bad setting, corrupt bios or just plain faulty. But if the operating system installs just fine on your old hard drive, then you know the problem is with the new hard drive. See what I'm saying? You don't have to erase the data on your old drive, just create a new partition on it and install it on the new partition.

picard5.jpg

#14 ndevans

ndevans

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:29 AM

I have been experiencing a similar problem - I think:  Windows XP runs fine on first HD, installed second HD and formatted with a partition of 250 GB with the intention of installing Windows 7 on the new HD. Inserted Win 7 installation CD and rebooted from CD.  The installation procedure detects both drives, but when I choose the new one it says that this can't be done because of the BIOS. 

Thinking that this may be because the BIOS is not configured to boot up on the new disk I attempted to change this but although the BIOS seems to have the facility to choose the order of HDs to boot from, the new one is not listed.  Perhaps it needs a MBR for the BIOS to recognise it, but I would have thought that the Win7 disk would create this, so I seem to be in a chicken and egg situation! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users