Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer advice.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fortune7

fortune7

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:02 PM

My budget for the new computer
Under 500 go as high as 600 usd

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?
I would prefer a compact tower I can fit in and entertainment stand. Like the size of a PS3 or so.

Lots and lots of streaming, web browsing, blue ray movie watching would be nice but not necessary,
Mainly will be hooked up to my led TV to facilitate an eventual cable tv cut. I want the computer to run to two monitors as well, both in the living room.

What software do you intend on using on the computer?
Nothing in particular. Mainly a web browser.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?
I suppose I may play an MMO here and there to try with a friend, but I would not be hardcore "gaming" on its computer.

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it?
I close programs.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?
High Calicut storing is nice but not a deal breaker.

I do have an HD tv so I suppose I need a good graphics card. And in tandem with the crazy holiday savings I'm trying to find a good deal right now. Thanks for the help. You guys rock.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 03 December 2013 - 05:55 AM

Hi, the Dell OptiPlex 3010 469-3194 will perfect for your needs as it has an HDMI output so you connect it to your TV and it has a VGA, so a second monitor can be connected. The size of the desktop is roughly about the original PS3 and it can be positioned in a stand position. In terms of performance, it is more then capable of web browsing, streaming etc and i do believe it can play MMO games but not at the highest graphics settings. A internal 500GB hard drive is included which will hopefully be enough.

Edited by killerx525, 03 December 2013 - 05:55 AM.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:19 PM

One thing to remember, I say this since You mentioned "fit in an entertainment stand"

Make sure that the front and rear of the computer are not enclosed. Blocking airflow is a easy way to really shorten the life of a computer.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 fortune7

fortune7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

Compact space is no longer a concern. At this point I just need something cheap that I fits my needs. My very old dell died today. Going to try to fix it in the interim but it needs replaced overall.
Thanks for the responses so far.

#5 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:18 AM

Compact space is no longer a concern. At this point I just need something cheap that I fits my needs. My very old dell died today. Going to try to fix it in the interim but it needs replaced overall.
Thanks for the responses so far.

The Dell desktop that i suggested earlier would still work and fit your needs.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users