Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard drive help

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

I am looking to upgrade my hard drive. Is he Samsung 840 evo 120 GB a good upgrade from a regular SATA hard drive?  My wife uses Photshop alot and the computer is laggy and I do some video editing and lots of audio work.

I understand I will need something to store alot of my data on but I am looking to speed up my computer and programs.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 djm1k0

djm1k0

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:38 PM

I am looking to upgrade my hard drive. Is he Samsung 840 evo 120 GB a good upgrade from a regular SATA hard drive?  My wife uses Photshop alot and the computer is laggy and I do some video editing and lots of audio work.

I understand I will need something to store alot of my data on but I am looking to speed up my computer and programs.

120gb is not that much hard drive space especially if you are going to be working with video files that could use a considerable amount of space... Hard drive's are much cheaper than they used to be if i were you i'd be looking at 500gb or more you can get a reasonably priced 1tb drive...  aside from that a new hard drive isn't neccesarrily going to speed up your computers and programs... you should be looking at upping your RAM.. and or processor or well your whole computer... please post some system specs

#3 KingdomSeeker

KingdomSeeker

• Members
  • 458 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:47 PM

I bought a 1 TB WD interior HDD a couple weeks ago for about $58 on Amazon. As djm said, the price isn't prohibitive anymore. YOu might even want to concider a USB external.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:00 AM

I just ordered this for this computer I'm on.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/why/samsungSSD1TB.html

It is a 1Tb SSD drive, They are available on the Internet for $539 US from various vendors. 120Gb is way small in my opinion. A SSD will hold up better if not kept filled.

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/buy/purchase.html

You don't say why the computer is laggy.

Is it low on memory?

Is the CPU slow?

Is it just slow loading or saving to or from the hard drive?

It might help if You provide Your system Specifications using speccy.

Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.

• Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

====================

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

speccyq.png
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
You will see the following prompt:
publish.png
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
copydi.png

====================

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the reply.png button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Congrats! You have just posted your specs! :)

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 December 2013 - 11:01 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 02:21 PM

I don't notice a big problem with speed. My wife complains when she uses Photoshop about it taking forever and being laggy. I read somewhere that an SSD would help with programs such as that.

I am looking into a new hard drive because when I run diagnostics it comes up with an error and some research online lead me to mutiple instances of that error being consistent with a dying drive.

Here is my snapshot of my system. Any help would be appreciated on what you think would make my computer perform better.

Here is the link to m snapshot  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/FvjtyrTrzPTw2XPmzFGIEW1

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:53 PM

Since it is a Dell, Are You running the Dell Diagnostics from the Diagnostic partition?

If not You need to press F12 when the computer is turned on and the Dell logo is displayed. That will bring up the Boot Device menu, Select Diagnostic partition and run the hard drive test from there. That will test the Internal Seagate and not any external drives.

You can download from here on the Seagate website to test the internal and external drives from within Windows.

SeaTools for Windows

SeaTools for Windows tests SATA, USB, 1394, ATA (PATA/IDE) and SCSI drives. It installs onto your system. SeaTools for Windows is completely data safe. If the drive passes SeaTools for Windows, your troubleshooting can move to other areas.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 02:54 PM

BTW one cause of a person thinking a computer is slow is that use a faster one elsewhere.

167 @ June 2015

#8 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:07 PM

photoshop is a memory hog. so more memory and hd would help. SSD isn't necessary

#9 Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

I have run the Dell diagnostic this is the error I get during the test
Pre boot system assesment
Error code 0146
Msg error code 2000-0146

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

Have You run the Seagate for Windows diagnostic I linked earlier. From what I can see the drive could be bad. Since it is a Seagate their diagnostic software should tell.

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#11 Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:07 PM

I just ran the Seagate diagnostic and yes the hqrd drive is going bad. So looks like I will be buying a new one.

Would getting additional memory and a 1 tb hhd drive gelp speed things up.

What about the sshd drives are they any good. Anyone have long term experience with them?

#12 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:53 PM

If the system supports more memory it could help. Speccy shows 4Gb and a 64Bit OS so if the hardware supports more memory You could do that.

I have not used SSHD drives. I use either regular drives or SSDs. I just upgraded this computer tonight. I went from 4Gb to 8Gb memory and a 1Tb Hard Drive to a 1Tb SSD, In this case a Samsung 840 EVO drive. But it wasn't cheap, I spent more on the upgrade than I did on the computer system. That was my Christmas Gift to me. :)

That did bump the hard drive Windows rating from 5.9 to 7.8. The increase in performance is much better that that would indicate.

This was my Last Computer without a SSD and now it has one too.

Good Luck

Roger

A SSHD will perform between a regular drive and a SSD and be affordable too. Some of the Intel or Samsung hard drives that are smaller are more affordable. The memory rating stayed the same, However memory with Firefox and Thunderbird open as well as the Antimalware is now showing 22% used. Much better

167 @ June 2015

#13 Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:37 PM

I think I will just get a 1 Tb nonSSD for now and try to add more memory. When I get my finances in order then I can get an SSD for my main and use the 1Tb for the secondary.

Are there any threads that anyone knows of with good instructions on getting the new hard drive started up and installing windows. I wasn't going to clone the old one because I am sure I have some adware and things that I don't want carried over.

#14 Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

Would there being sector damage to my hard drive cause the laggyness at times?

#15 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:20 PM

Short answer is yes. If they are in use.

If the sector being read is weak and needs retries to be read, then those retries will slow down the hard drive performance.

I did see a Seagate SSHD 1Tb on sale at $80 today if You are interested in that sort of thing, You can search the Internet.

Good Luck

Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users