Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

32GB flash drive seen as local disk - Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

I've been attempting to create a recovery flash drive for a windows 8 machine with no luck.

When I open the recovery manager software it says to insert my media device and when I stick in the flash drive nothing happens.  I did a little digging and found out the HP software won't recognize a flash drive as media you want to use if windows 8 says it is not removable storage.

I would be willing to go out and buy a second flash drive from a separate manufacturer, but not if I'm going to have the same results.

Does anybody have any ideas why the drive wouldn't show up as removable storage, or if there's a way to change how windows 8 sees the drive?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:08 PM

Looks like I may have found my answer, but would be interested if anybody knows of any workarounds.  I'd rather not shell out the money for another flash drive if I don't have to.

Sandisk had a nice explanation, but HP finally clarified the issue by stating that flash drives branded with the windows 8 logo will only show up as local disks to meet new requirements for windows 8 certification.

The HP recovery manager software is not compatible with many USB storage devices larger than 32GB. HP Recovery Manager displays the total size of the source files when going through the creation process. You can stop at this screen during the creation process to know what size of storage device you should use. Use a storage device that is larger than the size of the source files, but not larger than 32GB.
Also, USB flash drives that are branded with the Windows 8 compatible logo do not work. USB devices with this logo are set up to work with Microsoft's Windows 8 To Go feature and do not display in Windows as an external device. Instead, they function in Windows like an internal hard drive and appear as a Local Disk. Since HP recovery creation software looks for external media, a USB storage device with the Windows 8 compatible logo does not appear in the list of devices (and cannot be used as recovery media).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users