Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Themes folder in Windows Vista is gone

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 drunkle

drunkle

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:01 PM

Yes, I know, I'm still using Vista but I can't be bothered to spend the billions of dollars to upgrade. Anyhow....I'm not sure how, I think it has something to do with installing some new MS updates, but I turn my computer on one day and the aero glass theme is turned off. I go to turn it back on, but the only theme option available 'modified'. I check the "C:\windows\resources\themes" folder to see why the aero theme isn't being listed in the available themes and discover that there isn't a "\themes" folder at all.

I go to the Start menu and search for *.themes and nothing, anywhere on my computer. So I go back through and check my previous updates and think it happened somewhere around an update for Office 2007. I don't use that at all so I uninstall it, it's SP, and all relevant updates (I did have to us the FixIt from MS to uninstall everything, if that's important). Still nothing. I've run several virus scans in safe mode using SpyBot and MalwareBytes with no hits.

Lastly, I opened the command prompt under administrator and ran the command 'sfc /scannow'. It ran and said, "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.log." When I try and open the .log, it says "access denied".  I'm really scratching my head over this. Any suggestions?

Specs:

HP Pavillion dv7

Windows Vista Home premium, 64-bit

AMD Turion X2 64

ATI Radeon 3200

Thanks in advance,

drunkle

"Finished products are for decadent minds." --Asimov
"Cogito ergo sum." --René Descartes

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThomasCrook

ThomasCrook

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:55 AM

I totally agree with you..There's only issues with their properties not with inner configurations...It may also favorably works for Google apps account recovery

#3 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 08:02 AM

Check out this link.
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/aero_effects_not_working

#4 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 03:46 PM

@InadequateInfirmity:  Thanks for the link.I've tried that route and it didn't work. But here's where it gets weird. Last night I noticed that there was a new version of MS Security Essentials. I downloaded it and did a full system scan. I'm not sure how long it took to complete, I went to bed after 4hrs 22min, but when I came back to it in the morning the computer had restarted and everything was back to normal. I don't know what it did, but it worked. Any ideas?

#5 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:31 PM

Any ideas?

Yeah
I would replace MSE with something else like Avast or Avira.

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-security-essentials-provides-baseline-protection

#6 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:09 PM

Believe me when I say that I do NOT boot up MSE all that often!

#7 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 06:11 PM

Believe me when I say that I do NOT boot up MSE all that often!

Ok I would remove it with Revo and use one of the other AV's I help out on this forum and a couple others and the majority of people who are infected have MSE  installed on the machine in question.I am highly suprised that people suggest using it at all.

#8 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 11:04 PM

Well, my machine is apparently toasted. It doesn't boot at all now. It hits the HP splash screen and then hits a black screen that says:

"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the casue. To fix the problem:

1. insert your windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your langauge setting, and then click "next."

3 Click "repair your computer."

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Boot\BCD

Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data."

It then gives the option to hit enter to continue start up (which just leads right back to here) or esc to exit (which also just leads right back to here).

I can hit ESC during the splash screen and it brings up some options:

"Startup Menu

F1  System info

F2 System Diagnostics

F9 Boot Device Options

F10 BIOS Setup

F11 System recovery

Enter - Continue Startup"

F1 works, F2 runs the memory and HDD scans and comes back clean every time. F9 works as it should. F10 lets me into BIOS and I can change things if I want (I haven't of course). But F11 does nothing. It just leads right back to the startup fail screen as well as pressing enter.

I have a boot disc of Linux Distro Knoppix (i think it's 7.0) and I can get that to boot up just fine from DVD. I can use Knoppix to surf the web, and I was able to back up my important files onto my external HDD. I just can't windows to boot. I was looking into converting the machine into a dual boot system with OpenSUSE or Ubuntu anyway, but I need the Windows OS. I don't have the recovery discs as everything is on a recovery partition. Oh, since I didn't mention it earlier, it's Vista SP2.

drunkle

#9 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:51 AM

You can use a windows 7 disk to enter the recovery console.
http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/

To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:

• Restart the computer.
  • As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the F8 key until Advanced Boot Options appears.
  • Use the arrow keys to select the Repair your computer menu item.
  • Choose your language settings, and then click Next.
  • Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.
  • Select your user account and click Next.

On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:

Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt

• Select Command Prompt

Use this article from ms.

I could copy and paste some stuff but it would be nice to know what you are doing wouldnt it. :)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

#10 drunkle

drunkle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 04:41 PM

I load the Windows 7 boot disc and here's what happens. I select the langauge, time, etc. and click next. And then I select the 'repair your system' option. It then searches for windows installations and comes back with with windows vista in the list. I select Vista and then click next (my other option is to 'load drivers' for the selected installation. I choose the command prompt and follow the instructions in the link you provided.  Everything goes well until I get to entering the command "ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old".  The command line tells me that "a duplicate file name exists, or the file cannont be found."

If I try the startup repair, from the same screen the command prompt is launched from, I get an error message telling me that there's a problem about mismatched OS versions. Although, if I let the computer bootup normally, (whether regular startup or one of the safe modes), it loads, all the way to the windows screen. Then the screen goes black except for the mouse curser. I full control over the mouse, but nothing else.

I really do appreciate your help on this!

drunkle

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 08:26 PM

http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-security-essentials-provides-baseline-protection

http://securitygarden.blogspot.com/2013/09/sensationalist-press-got-it-wrong.html

Thread discussion regarding MSE topic.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users