Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 "Blackout" Error

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 torvinecho

torvinecho

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 05:29 PM

Hello all! I'm new to Bleeping Computer; this is my first post. I've hit a pretty nasty problem with my computer, and no matter what I try to do, I can't seem to fix it. I am reasonably experienced with computers (and electronics in general), but this one has me stumped.

First off the bat, the computer. Its a rather new (about a year or two old) Hewlett-Packard Pavilion 7 1225 I bought brand new at Staples (normally I don't buy my computers, but I got this one for a steal during a holiday sale). The specs are as follows;

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03186697#N447

Aside from expanding the power supply, adding another cooling fan, and mounting two different CD/DVD burners, I have not made any major modifications to the machine.  It runs Windows 7 Professional, a legitimate copy with no modifications/texture packs.

Now, the problem; about a month ago, the computer developed a rather strange variant of the "black screen of death". Upon startup, the computer would run fine. However, if started having problems when waking up from sleep mode; when woken up, it would power up as normal, and the display would light up to the desktop. After about 5 seconds, however, the display would suddenly go black; the monitor would still be on (and the little standby light green, not orange), and the computer would appear (and sound) to be running normally. After this error showed up, I altered the power settings, figuring it was a typical Windows 7 sleep mode bug. 

That, however, did not fix the problem; the computer would still freeze after being left to sit, and would work for about 5 seconds after any user input before blacking out. I realized after a bit that hitting Control-Alt-Delete would wake the computer up; however, after the computer woke up and went to the task manager, it would black out a second time about 5 seconds later. At this point, nothing could be done to wake the computer a third time, and it would have to be manually shut off (pressing the off button didn't work, I had to cut the power to shut the machine down).

Hoping to solve the problem, I set the computer to stay awake 100% of the time; still no solution, it would still black out.

Left with no fix and sick of having to "kill" and then reboot the machine every time I left it to sit, I backed up all my files and did a full system restore (hard drive format, the works; brought it completely back to ground zero). And lucky me, *right* off the bat it started doing the black out glitch again. Only this time, it would "black out" from the BIOS right as it booted up (this led me to believe it *had* to be a hardware problem, most likely centered around the integrated graphics). To start the computer, I would have to repeatedly kill and restart the machine hoping that it would engage at one point of another (it took 7-8 attempts to get the computer to start without blacking out; when it did start, it ran fine until it was left to sit). 

Anyway, skipping ahead to current...the computer blacks out now more then ever, it takes about 14-15 boot attempts to get the display to engage. I have tried *everything* I could think of, and have gotten input from several experts. I have tried system restore, I have tried updating, refreshing, and repairing the graphics card drives, I have tried boot repair, I have tried disabling sleep/hybrid sleep/monitor shutoff, I have tried windows recovery, I have tried different monitors, I have tried a different PSU, I have tried hooking up a non-integrated graphics card, I have even tried different installs of windows (I tried Vista and 8) as well as an install of Ubuntu. No software update/change and no hardware tampering will fix the "blackout" problem.

Anyone got any ideas? Has anyone had a similar problem? At this point, I'm pretty dead confident it *has* to be the motherboard, as nothing else would make sense. 

Edited by hamluis, 30 November 2013 - 11:03 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:03 PM

mate if you have a spare GFX card, even a small one try that and see how it goes because it definatley sounds like the chipset is having issues.

See if you can get to the BIOS and let it sit and idle there for a while.

Maybe even try flashign the bios again with the original ROM or a new ROM.

You could also try running the command

powercfg -h off

But i dont think this will solve the issue.

#3 computerlife22

computerlife22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:59 PM

As JohnnyJammer said, see if it blacks out within the BIOS. I'd also try to use a boot disk, whether it'd be Hiren's Boot Disk or any other Ubuntu based live CD. If it still blacks out, then there's definitely a hardware problem and I would RMA your motherboard (or entire PC).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users