Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't start after WinXP activation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Buddyro

Buddyro

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Today I called Microsoft to activate WinXP, answered questions and followed instructions after which it indicated activation was successful and that I could resume using WinXP. However, the system won't even post after restart. Now when power on the system the monitor displays in the lower right corner A1 then A2 and finally A3 where it stays with no post and blank screen except for the A3 in the corner. It's WinXP Pro SP3, and motherboard is MSI Z77A-G41 motherboard with Pentium G2020 LGA 1155 CPU and 2GB Mushkin DDR3 1333 RAM if any of that is important. Can Microsoft activation kill a system, or did the new motherboard installed just yesterday die already? Does anybody have any explanation or possible fix for this odd problem? Is there a Microsoft contact I can try to fix the problem since it happened immediately following the activation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:05 PM

Why was XP installed...only yesterday?

Do you have a valid license for XP?

Louis

#3 Buddyro

Buddyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:33 PM

New motherboard was installed, and repair install was required to get it to boot after which it indicated activation was required.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

A new motherboard is considered a change of system by Microsott (officially).

My guess is that you did not activate properly...either way, I would contact Microsoft again since only they know exactly what took place on that system.

Louis

#5 Buddyro

Buddyro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 10:09 AM

All hardware except video was disconnected resulting in post to bios. Hardware was reconnected 1 device at a time in order from keyboad, mouse, DVDRW drive, and first hard drive continuing to post to bios as well as boot to CD, but failure to post on connecting to second hard drive. Switching sata cables between hard drives resulted in same post results, i.e. connecting first drive continues to post and connecting second drive results in failure to post. Reconnecting all other hardware with first hard drive connected continues to post, but connecting second hard drive continues to fail to post. This seems to indicate a bad hard drive which is quite an odd coincidence with the Windows activation.

I've never had failure to post caused by bad hard drive before but would get mtldr is missing or some other error instead of failure to post. Perhaps this is the normal behavior for newer motherboards. Oh well, time to look for black Friday deal on a hard drive I suppose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users