Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ccleaner-Don't use?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Smorton1951

Smorton1951

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:05 PM

Very new to this forum.  Very ignorant but how to become educated.

I reformatted my Win7 last night and I am trying to determine whether I should be using Cleaner in the future or not.  I thought I real some place that registry cleaners were not a good idea.  I have used Cleaner in the past but I have done quite a few things in the past that weren't a good practice.

Input appreciated.

SM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:44 PM

CCleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool that removes unused, temporary and junk files from your system to include temporary Internet Files, Cookies, History, etc.

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing these temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaning feature unless you have a good understanding of the registry.

In fact, Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.
Please read: Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Smorton1951

Smorton1951
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:10 PM

Well, I can tell you I don't have a good understanding of the registry so I am going to heed your advice.

Thank you by the way for writing such a good article/treatise on Anti-Virus choice which I was directed to yesterday.

Thank you.

SM

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 02:21 PM

You're welcome.

#5 juanes

juanes

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 03:16 PM

Hello, 

I am writing this to warn others about CCleaner:

I was watching Netflix and dozing off to sleep when I noticed an orange like box appear that said CCmonitor is now active.

A warning bell did sound off in my head as I am very protective of my brand new Alienware FX laptop.

But as I was tired, I just went to sleep.  

Well, the next morning. My Netflix was still playing and that was fine, but the moment I tried to do anything, even just touching the mouse. The laptop froze. Not even ctrl + alt + del, worked.

I had to wait over two hours: Kudos to Dell, because that is how long it took for the my battery to

finally die out. And that was with a USB fan set to high and my Iphone playing videos connected to it.

This is not a commercial for Dell but I was surprised how long that battery lasted, and the display was on bright mode too on the computer. It had the frozen netflix screen. 

BTW, it was using Chrome. But I think this issue is related to the CCLeaner, which seemed to 

load something in the background and never asked my permission. MS-Win10 never asked me either

if it could change the settings. So Now I will use the malware removal tool or just start fresh from my

image backup that I keep just in case. I do think it was the CCleaner because it installed something without asking me.

I hope this warning helps someone. 

My regards.

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 961 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 AM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 12:50 AM

If you are talking about Ccleaner monitoring... just turn monitoring off.

https://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/ccleaner-settings/changing-monitoring-settings-ccleaner-free

Next time you ever need to turn your laptop off (if you cannot do it normally) just press and hold in the power button on the laptop, usually around 10 seconds will turn it off.

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 09 September 2016 - 05:00 AM

Next time you ever need to turn your laptop off (if you cannot do it normally) just press and hold in the power button on the laptop, usually around 10 seconds will turn it off.

True, and even in the extremely unlikely event of that not working, all that would be required is to remove the battery (unless it is a rare model without a removable battery).

Top 5 things that never get done:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:21 PM

I have used CCleaner for years and never bothered with enabling automatic System/Active monitoring.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,501 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:36 PM

"...I do think it was the CCleaner because it installed something without asking me..."  -- juanes

I've used ccleaner for years, and for awhile, it was set to automatically clean cache files at boot up, it never installed anything onto my computer.  However, if many or if the majority [not necessarily all] possible delete checkboxes are checked, i.e. too assertively configured, the computer upon next boot/startup can find its Windows in for a rude awakening.

Edited by RolandJS, 09 September 2016 - 03:37 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#10 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 03:57 PM

I don't use CCleaner or any other "cleaners". Most of us know we shouldn't use registry cleaners and that goes for CCleaner as well. However, I see no reason to obsessively nuke temp files or to become paranoid about them. A lot of those files can be deleted manually if you feel the irresistible urge to do so; or browsers can be configured to either not retain temp files, cookies and history; or configured to delete them on exit. You should also keep browser cache to speed up browsing. I only delete the cache when there's a problem with a website

Edited by Phantom010, 09 September 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:02 PM

CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary, privacy related and junk files, but I do not recommend anyone using the built-in registry cleaning feature unless you have a good understanding of the registry.

#12 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:06 PM

If you have a good understanding of the registry, I believe you should remove the entries manually. The "so-called" errors detected by registry cleaners or just that... "so-called". If leftovers in the registry aren't causing any trouble, I just leave them there. Deleting them won't speed up your computer anyway.

:)

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,111 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:12 PM

I don't bother with registry entries/remnants either unless there is a specific issue leading to that location. I do know some registry experts who are fanatics but lazy about manual deletion.

#14 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,612 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:35 PM

Whenever installing any program, always watch every screen.

--- I'm not aware of ccleaner installing anything without permission but be careful of anything else during the download/install process that only ccleaner has been allowed.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner is the official site to install ccleaner from. Unless you uncheck it, Google Chrome will also be installed.

CCleaner can also be installed from filehippo but I don't know what else might come in along with it.

There are other sites that ccleaner can be installed from: I wouldn't use any of those.

If you can determine what was installed without your permission, it would be good for us to know also.

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2016 - 04:49 PM

A lot of people simply don't mind the PUPs being installed, or they simply don't know if they're needed or not. A program like Unchecky might be useful for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users