Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[Corruption Phone Call] Need Help

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon Young

Brandon Young

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

I don't Know if the guy put a virus on my computer or my other two computers. I checked the other one and it seemed fine :). This One I checked is fine, NOTHING IS GETTING THROUGH THIS ONE for sure Ill make sure of it. The third one is a laptop which It just went out of battery last night. I got a phone call this morning about Computer corruption said by my mom and she hung up immediately. When she said that I immediately changed the subject because she always blames me for stuff :/

I get on her computer and look at the processes and see if its actually corrupted, Its not. Would My laptop be infected for to have this phone call, I have java on It. I know java is a prone software to have hackers go through it. If you can Help It would be very apreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,119 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:20 PM

Unsolicited phone calls advising your computer is infected or has problems are scams. Typically, the scammers tell their victims to type "eventvwr" in the Run box after pressing CTRL+R and then scare them by pointing out all the warnings and errors listed under the various categories. The caller then attempts to talk their victims into giving them remote access to the computer in order to fix the computer and/or remove malware. Not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers.

Using Java is an unnecessary security risk...especially using older versions which have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to exploit and infect your system.

Although, Java is commonly used in business environments and many VPN providers still use it, the average user does not need to install Java software.
* Why You don't need Java
* W3Techs usage statistics and market share data of Java on the web
* Java: should you remove it?.

I recommend just uninstalling Java if you don't use it. How to Completely Remove Java Using JavaRa

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Brandon Young

Brandon Young
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •