Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue regarding BSOD and random freezing while browsing.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Segus1992

Segus1992

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:36 AM

Hey - this is my first post here, so if I say something pointless, or leave something out, please tell me.

Anyway, my computer has (for the past couple of months, actually) been giving me bluescreens more often than I'd like. Lately, it's also started randomly freezing when not straining the hardware at all (at least to my knowledge) - I ran a Prime95 "Blend" test for 10 minutes, which went just fine. That lead me to believe that it's neither a CPU or RAM issue (I might be wrong, of course).

I've also got a WhoCrashed report, that I can't really make much sense of.

These are my five latest BSODs, thanks a lot in advance!:

On Fri 2013-11-15 11:29:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\111513-10998-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x4ADB3C)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA80041878F8, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 2013-11-03 01:55:58 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110313-14414-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x75BC0)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0xFFFFFA7FFCFFFFD8, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800034A8061)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 2013-10-23 23:32:28 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102413-11200-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x4E (0x99, 0xBD2F1, 0x2, 0x1008F0)
Error: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
Bug check description: This indicates that the page frame number (PFN) list is corrupted.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem. This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Mon 2013-10-14 17:44:06 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101413-9921-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x8886, 0xFFFFFA80038574F0, 0xFFFFFA8000291C60, 0x500)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

On Mon 2013-10-14 05:57:50 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\101413-10405-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x1A (0x411, 0xFFFFF6800002D0A0, 0xAFF000006C1B5BE4, 0xFFFFF6FC4004CA09)
Error: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
Bug check description: This indicates that a severe memory management error occurred.
This might be a case of memory corruption. More often memory corruption happens because of software errors in buggy drivers, not because of faulty RAM modules.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:55 AM

This can be caused by faulty drivers.  To determine if this is the case we will use the Windows Driver Verifier.

1)  To endable Driver Verifier click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png and type cmd in the Search programs and files box.  cmd will appear above the search box in Programs, right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator 

2)  The Elevated Command Prompt will appear.  You will see a window similar to the image below.

elevatedcommandpromptw7_zpseba8c499.png

3)  In the Elevated Command Prompt type or copy and paste verifier /standard /all.  If you type this please not the space between verifier and /standard and /all.

4)  Reboot your computer and run it until it crashes.  

5)  If there is a faulty driver Verifier should list it.  Once you have identified the faulty driver download the latest drivers for this device and install them.

6)  After you have successfully installed the drivers boot into Safe Mode.  

For those unfamiliar with this, with the computer turned off press the power button on your computer and immediately start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options open.  If the operating system starts to boot you will need to try this again.

When you boot into the Advanced Boot Options you will see an image similar to the one below.

abow7_zpsc072f26e.png  Windows 7

7)  In Safe Mode open the Elevated Command Prompt the same way you did previously and type in verifier /reset.  This will disable the Driver Verifier.

8)  Restart your computer.

Edited by dc3, 28 November 2013 - 11:59 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Segus1992

Segus1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the response! I'll try this, though it will most likely take a while before I get any result (my last BSOD was two weeks ago).

In the meantime, any suggestions for something else I could try?

Thanks!

#4 Segus1992

Segus1992
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:33 PM

I either misunderstood how this works, or it didn't work at all - when I started the computer after having enabled this, I got a bluescreen before I could get to the login screen. I had to go into safemode to turn it off to be able to start it at all.

The bluescreen report doesn't show up on WhoCrashed, either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users