Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Misread Batteries In My Mouse

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:18 PM

I have a microsoft wireless laser mouse 6000 (very nice), and it has been working fine for a long time. Now, though, it keeps misreading the power of the batteries. Every few hours, i'll get a message saying "The batteries in the mouse are low, replace them for performance, blah blah." Fair enough, it's been a while since i've replaced them anyway. About an hour after putting in the new batteries, the same message pops up.

I check the mouse settings ("Wireless Tab"), and the batteries are reading fully powered. I check the batteries themselves with the 2 buttons on the side, and they light up just fine.

So, my question is why is that freakin message popping up, and what can i do to stop it from annoying me?

Thanx in advance.

EDIT: BTW, i have had no performance problems as a result of the error message, and the mouse is working perfectly.

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 03 May 2006 - 04:18 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 PM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 12:06 PM

Hi Heretic Monkey.
Never had that particular mouse but the technology is very basic.
If the smart receiver detects a weakened signal and the batteries are known good, then there is really only two main causes.
1. The signal is being interfered with.
2. The mouse and\or receiver is going bad.
You could also check to see if it's going into standby mode and not coming out but the above two seem more likely to me. If you are able to clean the battery contacts, give that a wirl. :thumbsup:

#3 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:48 PM

Hey, sorry for the late response, been busy finishing up my first semester at ncsu...

The mouse isn't more than 5 months old (i got it for xmas), so i would HOPE that the hardware isn't messing up. I guess it's possible that the signal is being interfered with, i'll try to remedy that.

I've cleaned off the ends of the batteries and the contact points within the mouse, maybe that'll help.

Thanx for the response.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users