Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP mode in Win7

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:43 AM

Will this allow for using a 32 bit program that I can't get to work in the 64 bit environment?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,158 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

It depends, which programs you are having problems?

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:02 AM

Do you mean XP mode?

The problem with 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems occurs with drivers.  Most XP 32-bit programs in XP mode will work with Windows 7 64-bit.

Worth reading.

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Understanding hardware and software for 64-bit versions of Windows

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:40 PM

I use a residential design software that I outright own my older version and would like to install it.  The last time I attempted to install in Win 7 it wouldn't work.  

dc thanks, I'll give them a read and yes I did mean mode. 

Edited by hamluis, 29 November 2013 - 07:28 PM.
Edited title - Hamluis.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:14 PM

If dc3's suggestions don't work out for you, and if you have an installable copy of XP lying around, then I can suggest setting up a virtual machine to run this software on. I used the free version from VMWare to try this and, for some truly ancient electronic design software, it worked very well.

At its simplest, you load the VMWare software into Win 7 where it appears as just another application. When you open it, you install XP into the virtual machine, and then you install your software into XP. It is not dual boot, you don't need to change your partitions, and to run it all you do is click on the VM icon in the usual manner, when it opens you select the operating system you want to use (you can have more than one !), and then, when that opens, run your design software.

I had 16 bit software designed for Windows 3.x running in 32 bit XP, running on a 64 bit Win 7 machine, and it ran very well !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 07:36 PM

Thank you for that information Chris.  I will search and hold on to the link for the VMWare in case I need it.  I would think running it that way would be safer than a dual boot once XP support is discontinued.

#7 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

Do you mean XP mode?

The problem with 64-bit and 32-bit operating systems occurs with drivers.  Most XP 32-bit programs in XP mode will work with Windows 7 64-bit.

Worth reading.

Install and use Windows XP Mode in Windows 7

Understanding hardware and software for 64-bit versions of Windows

dc thanks for the links.  They made for good reading and information.  I think I'm going to try to install the one program I've had problems with before to see if it will work on this machine.  I know the software manufacturer doesn't support with 64 bit drivers because they want you to buy the latest and greatest which I have through subscription. I own the older version outright and want it available as well.  Thanks again.

Edited by Bill_in_Texas, 01 December 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 12:38 PM

In XP Mode the version shouldn't matter unless it involves a driver.

Let us know how it goes.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 05:00 PM

I'm going to attempt the install without XP mode, should have been more clear on that.

#10 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 11:56 AM

I was able to install the software in question and update the key driver in Win 7 and it works fine so I guess XP is a memory for me now.  No need to install XP mode for Win 7.  Not sure why I resisted for so long.  

I gave up on the Win 7 backup mentioned in this thread due to inconsistency.  Syncback will be my backup software of choice.

My machine also froze a few times yesterday as mentioned in this thread but only 4 times all day.  So far today there haven't been any restarts for freezing.  Knock on wood.  

Thanks for all the help.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 12:35 PM

Another program which is being suggested here at Bleeping Computer is Macrium Reflect, this is software for cloning the hdd.

#12 Bill_in_Texas

Bill_in_Texas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:37 PM

Yes I have used the Macrium and it appears to work fine but the Syncback will backup actual files without the need to restore.  I did a backup of my photos this morning and when it finished I went to the HD where the backup is located and opened a photo for viewing.  I am waiting to see how the Syncback does on my clone this evening.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:52 PM

I'll have to take a look at Syncback.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users