Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help From Smart People!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BillnMartie

BillnMartie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:01 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1715 XCDS Laptop. Its only a 600Mh with 192 RAM. Everything was fine when it had XP. Then I had to go and take it off to put 98 on. I can't increase the memory any more, so I was trying to use the ram the best I could. After a few weeks of toture, I finally got it wiped and reformatted. I installed 98, and have been trying to upgrade IE-4, and the drivers. I can't get it to recognize the ethernet port or a PCMICA card I have for the ethernet cable. Until I do, I can't even download IE6, cause it keeps telling me my conection may be too slow. The card I'm trying to get to work is a Realtek 8139, it has the R-45 port on it. The laptop has a combo modem, but I can only get the dial up part to work. The ethernet part won't work. That is a Xircom. I also get the yellow exlamation point by the ethernet controller in the device manager. I've searched hi and lo but can't find how to get rid of that. I'm just a mediocre PC user, and this is driving me nuts!! ANy helpful advice would be welcome!!
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:48 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:46 PM

Realtek driver download page:
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...6&Software=True

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#3 BillnMartie

BillnMartie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the info! I went and downloaded them, but when the laptop asks for the 98 CD during installation, there are about 20 files not found. Thank you for your response!

#4 BillnMartie

BillnMartie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:21 AM

Well, this morning I turned it on and was prepared to make this work! I guess my older laptop needed time to learn new things! Its now hooked up via ethernet and the realtek card!! My thanks! Now I'm working on getting the color back to 256!!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 05 May 2006 - 12:45 AM

Ain't modern technology wonderful? :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users