Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gateway M680 Repair, No screen

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rubicant112

rubicant112

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hello. My brother reccomended me to come to this website because he's gotten help from here in the past.

I have a Gateway M680 Laptop that I've had since 2006. It was good up until earlier this year when I dropped the laptop and the screen messed up. I replaced the screen, but after having to replace the Motherboard due to the LCD connector on the Motherboard broke. I also replaced the LCD cable as well.

The laptop was good until one of the fans started giving me trouble on startup and the laptop wouldn't start. I bought a new fan for it, but then came to realize that the fan connector on the Motherboard was loose and then broke off. It was also giving me a red light next to the battery indicator, so I've replaced that and the charger.

I more or less gave up on it for a few months, but decided to try to fix it up. I bought another Motherboard for it, but now the screen isn't showing anything. The red light is there sometimes, but it went away for now.

It'll start, and run, both fans spin, but the Ram gets extremely hot. The new screen only had maybe two months of use on it, and I replaced the inverter board because that was touchy when I replaced the screen back in March. Everything is hooked up, I've triple checked everything. I just don't know what to do. I've held a light to the screen, I've held in the power button without the battery plugged in.

Any advice/help?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:46 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:42 PM

Are you sure you hooked everything up right? And did you do any soldering during the repair? Just curious, that's a 7 year old computer, is it worth that much time and money, may just be time to buy a new one.

Also, I'm guessing you replaced the board with a used board. There's a very real chance it just quit working.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 12:45 AM

I'm positive everything is hooked up right. No soldering. Just replaced the Motherboard, and hooked everything back up.

This Motherboard I just got was used, so it's possible it was faulty to begin with. Never even got any use out of it. Put it in, and nothing.

Going to try and contact the person I got it from about a return.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 01 December 2013 - 10:43 AM

I suspect that the latest motherboard is defective and even worse it may have damaged other parts such as the memory.

I'm basing that one what You said here "but the Ram gets extremely hot."

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

I am in agreement with roger here, if everything is hooked up right the new one is likely defective as well.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#6 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 05:32 PM

Well, I got another Motherboard today, installed everything, but still nothing. Fans turn on, the red light went away and is showing a purple one when the battery is charging, but still no screen. It doesn't even flicker, just completely black.

Any other ideas? New screen?

Thanks.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 07:19 PM

As I said previously

I suspect that the latest motherboard is defective and even worse it may have damaged other parts such as the memory.

I'm basing that one what You said here "but the Ram gets extremely hot."

The memory should not get extremely hot.

I hope the motherboard you got was a free replacement for the last bad one.

Good Luck

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Yes, they gave me a free replacement, but still nothing shows up on the screen.

I feel like when I used the last MB that they sent me, and when I turned it on after putting it all back together, the screen flickered real quick, but then nothing.

So I wonder if something happened to the screen itself.

#9 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

that's possible-but unlikely. your hot ram is the giveaway, chances are the previous bad board damaged other components such as your screen, it sounds like it was sending to much voltage to the peripherials-hence the hot ram.

picard5.jpg

#10 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:17 PM

What do I do now, then?

#11 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 11:09 PM

could try to replace any parts damaged by the last board, but in all honesty, im going with my original advice-its a 7 year old computer, is it really worth keeping? you can get new or refurbished laptops dirt cheap these days.

picard5.jpg

#12 rubicant112

rubicant112
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 12:10 AM

Well, I was hoping that replacing the MB would have fixed it, then I was going to sell it. That was my goal. I was trying to make money towards a new car.

I wouldn't even know what to replace now.

#13 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2013 - 01:44 AM

you can still sell it as parts maybe. Hate to say it, but even working, a laptop that old isn't honestly worth much-not the time and money youve put into it in my opinion.

picard5.jpg

#14 slgrieb

slgrieb

• Members
  • 270 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 PM

Posted 09 December 2013 - 02:41 AM

It's interesting that nobody responding to this thread has addressed the possibility that the memory could be defective. Been through a couple of replacement mainboards, memory has consistently been very hot... Sounds like failed RAM to me.

One thing I will agree with is Patriot's statement that an old laptop is virtually worthless. So, you aren't likely to find much of a market for parts, either. I would expect that your motherboard and display are probably OK, and you might get a few bucks for them on eBay, but I would suggest you simply cut your losses and bail out. After all, if it turns out that any of the stuff you sell is defective, you'll just get further in the hole.

Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is... 
WIFFLEBALL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users