Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion Startup Repair

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 srossi

srossi

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:58 PM

I have an HP Pavilion p7-1170t.  I shut down normally last night with no signs of problems.  When I turned it on today, an orange light flashed and it beeped 5 times and would not start.  I opened up the cover and cleaned the fans of dust.  Same thing happened.  I then removed a memory card and re-inserted the same one, and finally I got the PC to start without the beeps.  I now get the Startup Repair screen, and it asks me if I want to restore my computer to the last restore point.  I'd love to, but it's not recognizing my keyboard or mouse so I have no way to move forward.  I've unplugged everything and re-booted several times and no luck.  Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:33 PM

I now get the Startup Repair screen, and it asks me if I want to restore my computer to the last restore point.

Hit Cancel and see if it proceeds to the start up repair this time. If not, see this Bleeping Computer Startup Repair Tutorial by Grinler . Applicable for Vista and Windows 7 using a repair or restore disc.

Tekken

#3 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:56 PM

Or when it starts justs elect "Start Windows Normally" if you get that option when it finishes the POST.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,274 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:20 PM

Do you have a USB keyboard and mouse?

If so...and you had no previous problems with recognition of the keyboard/mouse...and I combine that with your "apparent" RAM situation...I think it might be a failing CMOS battery leading to all these situations.

Louis

#5 srossi

srossi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 04:42 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not sure what finally did the trick but after a lot of fiddling I finally got it to recognize the mouse/keyboard and I restored to the last restore point.  Didn't lose anything and no further problems, so everything seems fine for now.  I'm concerned that it could crash again at any time, but I'll diligently backing everything up routinely and will wait it out. It might be time for a new computer soon though.      

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:07 PM

:thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users