Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RAM Causing Suspicious Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maxey243

Maxey243

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hello and thank you for reading this post, I appreciate your time.

So, what's the problem?

Okay, I've been waiting for Seagate to send my new HDD through the post and it arrived this morning. I added it to my computer along with some RAM I have and installed the OS. The RAM has been sitting on my wooden shelf for quite a while now, maybe a month or so. When it came to adding it to the computer I added 4GB and the computer read it fine, I then added another 4GB into the rear slot, the computer didn't read it at all so I moved it into another slot. This time the computer read it and said 8.00GB (3.92GB usable). I thought this was a little odd so I consulted my motherboard manual. The manual told me where to place them and I did as it said and powered the computer hoping for the issue to be resolved, this however, was not the case it still said: 8.00GB (3.92GB usable).

What OS are you using?

I am running Windows 7 64-Bit.   (Fresh Install)

Has this happened before?

No, when I had the computer running before the HDD went dead previously it just said 8.00GB and there was no problem, all of a sudden after a fresh OS install this happened

I hope someone can please help me, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:25 PM

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Tekken

#3 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:44 AM

Okay, will do! I'll do it as soon as I get home, thank you.

#4 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 01:48 PM

I am going to have to post the file tomorrow morning sometime, sorry for the inconvenience it's just that I have a lot of college work to do today and I will not have time. I will post the results in the morning.

Thank you.

#5 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:52 PM

Simplest thing mate is to goto run and type sysdm.cpl, goto the Advancted tab/Performance/Settings Button and select Advanced tab then select Change and then select the radio label System Managed Size.

reboot the system and bingo you are set.

Just note and make sure you havnt set the RAM size in msconfig/Boot/Advanced options/Maximum memmory.

I forgot to mention that some of the HP Z400's do this if they did not come with X amount of RAM of the production floor, also when you reinstall witht he system image you need to use the correct amount of RAM that came with the HP prioer to adding more as it wont work.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 28 November 2013 - 06:54 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users