Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Help to Re-install Windows 7 from Safemode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 arclightmarine

arclightmarine

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello,

I have a rootkit infection that I am unable to get rid of (Gringo tried in the malware section with no luck)and I need to re-install Windows 7 from Safemode.  I need to find which partition  to re-install Windows 7 since I do not have a Windows 7 disk.  Also my desktop does not show any programs on my system however most of my programs are still on the D drive (I'm assuming its from the infection).  I don't mind wiping them off but I was wondering if there is a way to check to see if my windows mail program still has my emails saved and if so is there a way to back these up to a thumb drive?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arclight

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,652 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:08 PM

What was the final recommendation after being unable to remove the rootkit infection?

--- I wouldn't be reinstalling onto an infected computer

--- Would it make sense to replace the hard drive  with a new one?

How do you plan to reinstall without the Windows 7 disc?

--- Order it from the manufacturer. They are not that expensive considering the time and effort it will take to try to accomplish what you want to do even if you use other free tools in which you probably will still need the Windows 7 disc or repair disc somewhere along the way anyway

I don't see how trying to install Windows 7 in Safe Mode will work; again without other tools that claim it's possible

--- I have seen some recommendations on some web sites but I didn't find any with a successful outcome yet plus the extra effort is much more involved than just using the correct Windows 7 disc for your make/model at least in your case

--- Maybe an expert can go that route

On your email, can you access it on another computer on which windows mail is installed?

Check out http://www.ehow.com/how_7266589_access-windows-mail-another-computer.html

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:16 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

Please wait for gringo's reply and approval of your currently open thread so as not to make any confusion to other members who are trying to help you.

Tekken

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,751 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:01 PM

FWIW:  What makes you think that you can install Windows...from within Windows, whether safe mode or normal?

Is this an OEM system and are you trying to restore to factory defaults?  System manufacturer and model?

As suggested...please complete your malware topic before beginning to fiddle with the system...thanks :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users