Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Movies in Windows Media Center displaying under genre Other mostly?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:28 PM

Hi,

I've noticed problem for a few years now. Windows Media Center displays movies in "Movies" mostly under the genre "Other" and not the appropriate genre where they belong.

I've employed Media Center Master to make metadata files with the appropriate genres which it does. I've just tried YAMMM which is supposed to do the same as Media Center Master with less hands on, more automated.

YAMMM has as option to use the parent folder name for the genre that does a little in the way of getting movies under the right genres.

But, still most movies appear under the genre "Other" which defeats the reason for using Windows Media Center - to make it easier to find the movies you are trying to view.

Both of these programs place metadata xml files in the individual movie folders. However, I'm pretty sure that Windows Media Center doesn't read these files.

In my pursuit to resolve this issue I found that there are almost the same metadata xml files in the folder:

C:\Users\(user name here)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\eHome\DvdInfoCache

These metadata xml files are written a little differently. The genres are listed in this manner:

<genre>Action; Adventure; Sci-Fi; Thriller; War</genre>

Where as in the individual movie folders the metadata lists multiple genres like this:

<Genres>
        <Genre>Action</Genre>
        <Genre>Adventure</Genre>
        <Genre>Sci-Fi</Genre>
        <Genre>Thriller</Genre>
        <Genre>War</Genre>
    </Genres>

Would the way the genres are listed make a difference in how they appear under Movies in Windows Media Center?

The one thing I did notice is that it seems to be that id there are more than one genre listed then the movie is placed under "Other" for the genre(s).

Can the eHome\DvdInfoCache metadata files be edited in a way to get Windows media Center to display all the genres a movie is attributed with?

Will the edits stick?

Can anyone help me with this; is there a solution that works and what might that be? Thanks.

John

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2013 - 07:57 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Audio/Video Applications - Hamluis.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:55 PM

Try this first:

Open the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter by clicking the Start button 4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818, and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:57 PM

Thank you for that suggestion, it does remake the metadata files but this did not effect the way movies are displayed in Windows Media Center.

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users