Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What to do re: anti virus results.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 jojogunn

jojogunn

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:36 PM

I use Avast Internet Security as my AV. I've used it for a long time. Every time I do either a full or quick scan, there are no infections, but it always says " not all files could be scanned". When I click on results there are a whole lot of files that read " Error: archive is password protected". Is that a problem itself? And what action should I choose? /Repair/Move to chest/Delete/do nothing at all/. So far to be safe I have done nothing at all. Could you please help me. I have Windows 7 Ultimate,Sp1,32 bit. I hope this is enought info. I purchased PC new in Feb. 2012. Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,613 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:28 AM

Files that are showing in a security scan log as being locked, skipped or unable to scan are not usually indicative of a malware infection.

"Object is locked skipped", "Error Opening - (File locked)", "Not tested", "Access Denied", "Some files could not be scanned", "Password Protected" or "Encrypted" notations in an anti-virus/anti-malware scan are not uncommon. Some files and services are locked by the operating system or running programs during use for protection, so scanners cannot access them. Other legitimate files, especially those used by security programs, may be obfuscated, encrypted or password protected in order to conceal itself so they do not allow access as a protective measure. When the scanner finds such an object, it makes a note and then just skips to the next one. That explains why it may show with such notations but no action taken in certain anti-virus or anti-malware log scan reports. These are normal when using many security scanning programs so there is seldom a need for concern.Note: It is not unusual for an anti-virus or anti-malware scanner to be suspicious of compressed, archived, .cab, .rar, .jar, .iso, and packed files because they have difficulty reading what is inside them. These kind of files often trigger alerts by security software using heuristic detection because they are resistant to scanning (difficult to read). This resistance may also result in some scanners to stall (hang) on these particular types of files or just ignore (skip) them.

When in doubt, it doesn't hurt to get a second opinion by performing an On-line scan:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users