Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FREEZE, Don't move.

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 ray5450

ray5450

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:06 PM

Some time ago, I posted the below to this category.  I was later moved to the "Am I Infected" category.  The last response there, suggested I post back here.  Here is a link to show what was already done:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/512001/freeze-dont-move/

-------------------------------------------

I am experiencing random freezing.  Sometimes every few days, sometimes every day, sometimes every couple hours.

There is no warning, no error message, or any message at all.  Mouse stops.  Keyboard stops.  Hard drive stops reading and writing (per indicator light).  Ctrl-alt-del does not respond.  I left it sitting for over 24 hours, and it did not resume.  Only option is to cut the power.

There is no established pattern.  Sometimes a browser and Notepad are open.  Sometimes just a word processor.  Sometimes other combinations.

I have checked Event Viewer under Application, and Hardware Events and there are no entries for the times in question.   I don't know if there is anywhere else to check.

I have run Memtest86 for a day using just the default settings and it says Pass.

It has been going on for about a year, that I remember.  I have been waiting for some Windows update to fix the problem, but that never happens.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:30 PM

Hi Ray. Please post the HP computer model next time. If I read correctly your previous post, you have Spybot installed?

Tekken

#3 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

Thank-you, for your response.

Compaq Presario F500 series.

Yes, Spybot.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 04:35 AM

Remove Spybot Completely and see if it makes a difference.

Tekken

#5 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Before I do, I think I should let you know the following.

I know Spybot does has some "active" features, but I do not have any installed.  The only part I use is the scanner, for which I have to manually run Spybot and start.  Otherwise, Spybot is never running.

If you understand what I mean, let me know if this information makes a difference on whether to uninstall it.

Thanks.

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 07:38 PM

I've removed the buggy spybot since the later XP days and while some users still used it today, there are better alternatives scanners and browsers today have improved their security vulnerabilities features and the other half comes to user awareness and reading tips and tutorial such as this topic created by our dedicated Administrator.

Tekken

#7 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:15 AM

Spybot has never been running when the incident occurs.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:16 AM

Spybot has never been running when the incident occurs.

Yes, but it is still installed right?

If you understand what I mean, let me know if this information makes a difference on whether to uninstall it.

Removing any possible culprits is part of the troubleshooting steps as they are harmless in any rate. They can be reinstalled if it did not clear your problem.

Tekken

#9 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:03 PM

Okay.  I just wanted to make sure you knew that it wasn't running as it does have components that can be on all the time, but I don't use those. 

Since this problem is not predictable and may happen hourly or at 10 days, it may be some time before I report back after uninstalling it.

Thanks.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:55 PM

Ok. Please do update us of the results. :)

Tekken

#11 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 03:32 AM

Okay, it just happened again while Spybot was not installed.

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:50 PM

Were you able to address the thermal events problem as suggested on previous thread?

Tekken

#13 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 09:51 PM

I don't know.  As I said there, I clean it as I described.  Otherwise, I don't know why that would happen.

Thanks.

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:21 PM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

Your issue sounds like its over heating.

#15 ray5450

ray5450
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 457 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2013 - 04:10 PM

Something has happened.  I don't know if it is related to the overheating...

There is a vpn connection that I use.  Yesterday, I went to connect and the connection was gone.  I tried to re-set it up, but it would just say that it could not connect.  When I used "Retry", the internal speaker beeped and a progress bar started and never stopped.  I then tried to use a restore point to fix it.

There were about 10 restore points available.  The first 2 did not fix the problem.  The next 2 after that got an error and failed to restore.  Their were 6 more restore points to try, but after 2nd of the latter rebooted, I went to the system restore list and all the restore points were gone...disappeared, except one undo of what I just did.

In addition to that, there is this freezing problem.

In addition to that, hibernate stopped working some months ago and that was going to eventually be my next topic.

Since there are so many problems now, I have concluded that it is time for my annual disk swap...I have found with Vista, that close to once a year, Vista starts to come unglued with some big problem or a group of small problems.  For this reason, I keep at all times another hard drive with a new installation of Vista ready to go.  I just need to do some updates and transfer all my stuff.  Within a month or 2 after that, I take the drive with the limping Vista, wipe it, and make a new installation for the next year.  It has now been over a year and a half since the last time, so I am overdue.

When I had Windows 98, I had to reinstall about every 1-2 months.  At least Vista is longer than that.  I never had XP, so I don't know how that is.

I still will still have the 1st disk for a while, if there is anything you want to know or try out of curiosity.

If the freezing remains after the swap, maybe that would indicate more of an over-heating problem.   I'll let you know.

Thanks, for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users