Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet privacy vs. IP tracking - discussion & question

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GoshenBleeping

GoshenBleeping

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:35 PM

There is quite a lot on the web about privacy invasion due to web tracking. (As an example see the TED talk by Gary Kovacs, CTO of AVG Tech.). If you install Collusion in your browser, you can see the companies that are tracking your web movements. However am I correct that this tracking does not necessarily allow these companies to determine my identity? Seems to me that these companies can track all they want but will not be able to determine my identity as long as:
(1) My IP address changes every time I connect (my Internet connection is DSL through Frontier & is almost always different) which means that I am essentially anonymous
(2) I do not surf the web while logged into a web site account so that trackers cannot associate my name with my surfing activities

Is it possible that if a company gathers enough information about my surfing habits in a single web session, they can (somehow) determine who I am?

Comments? Am I missing something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,358 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

Is it possible that if a company gathers enough information about my surfing habits in a single web session, they can (somehow) determine who I am?

In a single session, no.  Over time, yes.

If you want to peg your paranoia meter take a read/list to Security Now! - Episode 264 - Side-Channel Privacy Leakage.

There are many things about your computer that when taken individually mean nothing, but when taken as a group, over time, can be used to identify you.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 08:19 AM

You can enhance your online privacy with various privacy tools: 10 Privacy Tools To Browse The Web Anonymously

Hide your IP address and protect your online identity with SafeIP by hiding your IP from websites, email, games, and more.

SafeIP
SafeIP Home Page

Hide My IP is a useful application which allows users to surf the Web anonymously to prevent hackers from acquiring your IP, and more.

Hide My IP

Protect your privacy. See who's tracking your web browsing and block them with Ghostery.

Ghostery
Ghostery Features

DNT+ promises to block more than 600 trackers around the Web.

Do Not Track Plus
Privacy plug-in showdown: Do Not Track Plus vs. Ghostery

CyberGhost VPN replaces the externally visible IP address, which users have received from their provider when they dial up to connect to the Internet, with a CyberGhost VPN IP address. The CyberGhost user shares this IP address with a number of other users...

CyberGhost VPN

These search pages will also help with privacy:
Ixquick
Startpage
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users