Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Not Able To Boot, Not Able To Enter Setup

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 novirusplease

novirusplease

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:10 PM

I bought a second hand ECS micro-ATX K7SOM+ a few weeks ago together with a Duron 1.2 Ghz (CPU welded onto the motherboard).
In the beginning the PC systematically re-booted after 1-2 hours. Thinking that the CPU was too hot, I changed the heat sink and the fan (new), then added an addtional case fan but it did not help much. I finally completely removed the case housing and put my personal ventilator (the one I use to cool my room, 1 foot diameter) in front of the motherboard at maximum speed. At this speed all papersheets and mails on my desk (if unsecured) fly away. It did not help so I decided to flash the BIOS with some patch for this motherboard that I found on the manufacturer's website. Now the PC does not boot at all, it barely comes through the RAM check and peripheral check. It does not even come to the floppy disk drive check.
I tried several times to clear the CMOS (with a jumper) but it did not help.
I am not sure what to do to recover my investment.
Could anyone give some reasonable guidance?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 AM

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:07 AM

I am not sure what the first problem was but I think you problem now is you corrupted the BIOS. You may be able to replace the BIOS, CMOS chip if available. The guys and gals at Unicore are very help full and I have purchased BIOS chips for as little as $50. If they cannot get your computer running with a download the will mail you the chip. They are not hard to install, you just have to be carefull.

http://www.unicore.com/

Edited by acklan, 04 May 2006 - 01:08 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:27 AM

I am not really sure how this BIOS chip works but it would not solve my problem as I bought the motherboard (CPU included as it is welded on to it) for ca. US$25. I better buy a new motherboard...
Is there any other suggestion to recover my motherboard at a lower cost?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:30 AM

No I am afraid that is your only option. Sorry. You could hold off and see if another member posts a possible solution.

#5 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 05:46 AM

If this mobo has an AMI BIOS the "AMIBOOT.ROM trick" might work. I suggest you head to the PCChips Lottery website (ECS and PCChips models are very similar) -- search the M8xx forum for this topic and post if necessary.

#6 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 06:33 AM

Just wanted to add -- if the AMIBOOT.ROM trick does not work, there's another technique called "hot-swapping" -- it requires a working computer with a BIOS chip socket identical to yours. The same people I referenced before can guide you through it. It's basically the same process that Unicore and the other services do to create a BIOS chip for you.

#7 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:44 PM

ok... what is the website address?

#8 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2006 - 05:37 AM

http://www.stud.fernuni-hagen.de/q3998142-...d/ikonboard.cgi

This link should take you straight to the forums mainpage. You'll have to register before posting.

#9 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:07 PM

Have registered and asked but the moderator did not mention "hot-swapping", he rather seems to says to throw the MB away.

#10 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 20 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

this may sound caloused, but buy another board. success rate of saving those old (at best chinsey) boards are not good. i dont mean to sound rude, this is not my intent, but you can save hours and hours of hairpulling and money from not trying to raise the undead. good luck
Google...Google.....browse..read

#11 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:17 PM

I have to agree with Snapper. I would believe the time and money would out price the cost of a replacement motherboard.
With that said if you insist on rescuing this MB you can go to the Unicore site and order a replacement BIOS chip for $50 USD. The old one just prys out (Very carefully) and the new one will just press in. I have replaced only a dozen or so in the passed 12 years.

Just one more option.

#12 DaveM59

DaveM59

Bleepin' Grandpa

• Members
  • 1,355 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

Actually the moderator mentioned a couple of other things that might have caused the original problem, including bad capacitors. He did not get around to hot swapping because he wanted you to check this out first. _If_ you have bad caps then there is no reason to go through the pains of a hot swap which would (if performed correctly) restore your BIOS but do you no good unless you are also capable of replacing the caps yourself. A bad CPU was another possibility he mentioned, and if that is the case then again, restoring the BIOS will not give you a functioning computer.

Given all the uncertainties I have to agree with Acklan and Snapper that, if your time is worth anything, you'd be better served by getting a new motherboard. Chalk this one up to experience and next time remember, flashing the BIOS is not the first thing you try to resolve a bootup problem -- it's the last.

#13 novirusplease

novirusplease
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:36 AM

Many thanks. I fully agree. It was just a lost of time... and money.
I realise that not only the OS causes problems, the hardware can too (see my other topics).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users