Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Windows 7 won't allow me to load M/S Office

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:06 PM

After resetting my laptop to its original state (effecitvely doing a fresh OS installation) it won't allow me to load my copy of Windows Office Suite 2003. I've installed it before on this computer without a problem by simply entering the product key. But this time the program loads about 75% of the way before the following message appears:

'Error 1406 Setup cannot write the value to the registry key \Excel.CSV\shell\Open\command. Verify you have sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact M/S Product Support Services for assistance.'

I've scoured the internet and found a few relevant posts which attempt to instruct on how to deal with this but, despite my best efforts, I haven't' been successful. I've also used the M/S 'Fix It' Removal Tool following my failed attempts but this hasn't helped.

One instruction I came across explained 'You need to go to the innermost key and seize ownership, then apply full access permissions to the Everyone group. Now work your way out until you have dealt with the whole key.' But I'm afraid I have no idea how to set about doing any of this.

Has anyone had a similar problem and knows how to deal with the above error message? And if so, could they explain in layman's terms how to make the necessary change(s) that will allow my Office Suite to load successfully?

Thanks, everyone!

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2013 - 05:08 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Applications - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:59 PM

I see that you have active topic on the same subject the Computer Act!ve website.   Requesting advice on the same topic from two different websites leaves both websites without any knowledge of what the other has suggested and what steps you have taken as a result of these suggestions, receiving help for the same issue in more than one forum will hinder more than help.  I would suggest sticking with one website until they have resolved this issue or have not been successful in resolving the issue in a reasonable amount of time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:56 PM

Only question I have...was this a trial version of Office, good for only 90 days or so?  If so, you should not expect it to reinstall, IMO.

Louis

#4 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:44 PM

Only question I have...was this a trial version of Office, good for only 90 days or so?  If so, you should not expect it to reinstall, IMO.

Louis

Thanks for the response, Hamluis.

No, it's a genuine, full, 2003 Office Suite version of the program. And, like I said, I've never had a problem loading it in the past.

What I don't understand is how this very same laptop allowed the program to load the first time around but not after the recent reinstall of the identical OS from the HD partition. My only poor guess is that maybe the block is contained in a Windows update that wasn't there the first time my copy of Office was loaded.

#5 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:48 PM

I see that you have active topic on the same subject the Computer Act!ve website.   Requesting advice on the same topic from two different websites leaves both websites without any knowledge of what the other has suggested and what steps you have taken as a result of these suggestions, receiving help for the same issue in more than one forum will hinder more than help.  I would suggest sticking with one website until they have resolved this issue or have not been successful in resolving the issue in a reasonable amount of time.

I'm sorry, but I don't see the logic in your argument. I accept that posters on one forum will be unaware of steps taken via advice given from other sources and the outcome of taking those steps. But I certainly don't accept that receiving the collective wisdom of more than one source is going to be more of a hindrance than a help.

And as long as the advice given - whether that advice be helpful or not - is acknowledged with genuine appreciation and good grace by the poster seeking help, I don't see a problem. If I were helping someone my advice would given in the hope that it would help solve their issue. If their solution was ultimately resolved elsewhere I'd just be pleased that they found what they were looking for, whether from me or someone else.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:07 PM

The logic which you fail to see...exists in that suggestions to do A...may conflict with suggests to do B...thus making the sitution possibly worse.

If Member 1 has a malware issue...or a hardware issue...but thinks that it's an O/S or program issue...Member1 could wind up with all sorts of suggestions, depending on who is responding and what the orientation/experinece is which guides the suggestions of  responder.

Trying to solve hardware situations...by fiddling around with chkdsk /r, anti-malware and virus-neutralization tools...because such was suggested and you don't know better...is a recipe for eventually delete partition/clean install Windows.

Now...let's look at your scenario.  You post that a situation occurs...which is very illogical, IMO.  The error message says that Windows cannot make an appropriate entry in the registry.  Since this is a clean install, there's little to suspicion the O/S...which would make me run a diagnostic on the hard drive (since any error during an install process would, IMO, point to a potential hard drive or partition problem.

That approach won't get you far in the forum where you previously posted...and it's not guaranteed to be a correct approach...but it's the one I would take.

I agree with Dan, you should continue your topic elsewhere until resolved or paths are fully explored...but you seem to think that you know what you are doing...and it's your system...so do whatever you want.

Moving topic to Business Applications, where some Office users who are knowledgeable...hang out from time to time.  I don't see this as a Windows 7 issue, but an Office issue which has been partially explained/documented by someone  (in your other topic) more knowledgeable about such.

Louis

#7 Guest_The Boy David_*

Guest_The Boy David_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:31 PM

The logic which you fail to see...exists in that suggestions to do A...may conflict with suggests to do B...thus making the sitution possibly worse...

Well, the logic of this argument assumes that there will be a sequential procedure to be followed by advice given in response to a query posted on one site. However, this doesn't allow for the often varied, and sometimes conflicting, advice given even within the posts of one thread - and the often contradictory subsequent advice given as to how to proceed when one recommended procedure, or a sequence of steps, fails.

I agree with Dan, you should continue your topic elsewhere until resolved or paths are fully explored...but you seem to think that you know what you are doing...and it's your system...so do whatever you want.

Louis

If I knew what I was doing I wouldn't be seeking advice. But given that you and 'Dan' appear to be hell bent only on pointing out the impropriety of me posting my query on the only two sites of this kind I'm registered with, I'm inclined to think that either this isn't your area of expertise or you're annoyed about the fact I posted my query somewhere else before coming here. Either way, it would have been better had you not responded at all, then all three of us could have avoided this complete waste of our time.

You guys may have a 50k post count between you but take it from me, that doesn't impress when all you've managed to do is leave this poster with the intention of never stopping by here again.

Thanks a bunch - we're done!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users