Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Build PFN_List_Corrupt

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 C. Fraser

C. Fraser

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hello,

I'm in the process of trying to get my first attempt at putting together a computer on my own up and running. After spending a few days not being able to even get any display (a stupid, expensive mistake on my part), getting that sorted out, I go to load windows 7. The files appear to load, and then I get a brief opening screen with "windows" and then a BSOD with the error "PFN_List_Corrupt".

Searching online, this seems to generally be in regards to a RAM issue, and it's recommended to run MemTest. I went ahead and ran MemTest overnight (over 12 hours, and still running as I'm writing this), but it has detected no errors so far. 

I've also read that updating drivers might help, which I'm wiling to try, but how does one update drivers when one cannot even access the OS?

Anyway, I'm not sure where else to go from here. Any help/suggestions are appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:32 AM

Because you cannot boot into Windows you are limited as to what you can do to resolve this issue.

Since this installation is only a coupled of days old and you don't have any data to worry about at this point it may be simpler to wipe the hdd and do a fresh installation.

Alternately you could do a repair installation.

The instructions below include information for downloading a ISO image of Windows 7 and burning it to a disc, but I'm guessing you purchased a copy of Windows 7 and have the installation disc, so you can skip that part and go onto Step B, 1b.

Instructions for a Windows 7 Repair installation.

A Windows 7 Repair Installation will require a installation disc.

If you do not have a Windows 7 installation disc you can download a free legal ISO image of Windows 7 SP1 at  Windows 7 Forums.  You will need to download the same version of Windows 7 that you have installed,  This image is hosted by the Digital River store which is an official distribution partner of Microsoft.  This is a genuine untouched image which is safe to download. 

Attention:  If you do have a Windows installation disc, skip Part A and go to Part B, Step 1b.

Part A, Steps 1a - 6a

The ISO image will need to be burned to a DVD in order to create a bootable installation disc.

1a)  To burn a ISO file to a DVD please download ImgBurn and install it.

2a)  Insert a blank DVD into your CD/DVD drive tray, and then close the tray.

3a)  Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

4a)  Click on the Browse for a file icon:

ImgBurn2_zpsaea72ba9.png

5a)  Locate the ISO file you want to burn, and click on the Open button.

6a)  Click on the blue arrow to start burning the bootable DVD.

imageburn11_zpse44f577b.png

Please note:  In order to boot from this DVD you may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Part B, Steps 1b - 10b

1b)  Place the installation disc in the tray of the CD/DVD drive, close the tray and restart the computer.

2b)  You will be prompted to press any key to start the installation, I find the space bar handy.

At this point the setup process will load files, this will take several minutes.

3b)  You will now need to choose the  Language, Time, currency format, and Keyboard or input method that you'd like to use.

After this is done click on Next.

w71_zps6dbda47e.png

4b)  Click on the Repair your computer link at the bottom-left of the Install Windows window.

This link will begin the Windows 7 System Recovery Options.

w72_zps2a656a0c.png

5b)  System Recovery Options will now search your hard drive(s) for any Windows 7 installations.  This will take several minutes.

No participation is required on your part at this time, wait till it has finished and the next window opens.

w73_zpsd5483f05.png

6b)  Choose the Windows 7 installation that you'd like to perform the Startup Repair on, then click on Next

w74_zps490f9a17.png

7b)  Click on the Startup Repair link from list of recovery tools in System Recovery Options.

w75_zps9941e858.png

For a future reference, there are several other diagnostic and recovery tools available in the Windows 7 System Recovery Options including System Restore, System Image Recovery, Windows Memory Diagnostic, and Command Prompt.

8b)  The Startup Repair tool will now search for problems in the system files.

If Startup Repair finds a problem with any system files the tool may suggest a solution which you will need to confirm, or may solve the problem automatically.

w76_zps3dd75d83.png

9b)  Startup Repair will now attempt to repair whatever problems it found with system files.  

Note:  If Startup Repair did not find any problems with system files you won't see this step.

w77_zpsd8be95eb.png

Important: Your computer may or may not restart several times during this repair process.  This is normal, you should allow it to continue until you see the Restart your computer to complete the repairs window. 

10b)  Click on Finish, this will restart your computer.

w78_zpsd49257fb.png

It is possible that the Startup Repair will not be able to fix the problem.  If the Startup Repair tool determines this, it may automatically run the the repair after your computer restarts.  If it does not automatically run the repair but you are still having problems with Windows 7 repeat these steps to run Startup Repair again manually.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 C. Fraser

C. Fraser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:17 PM

Thanks for the response, Arachibutyrophobia,

I did purchase a Windows disc, so I do have that to use. Unfortunately I can't follow the instructions to try to repair windows since I get the BSOD right after the files install. After the files finish loading I briefly see a screen that says "Windows start" (I think) and there are three coloured balls of light that appear breifly, and then I get the crash, so I can't access Windows to try anything else. 

Update: OK, I decided to try to reseat the RAM (once again, I'd moved them around before) by switching the two sticks around. This seems to have done something, as I have just made it past the windows start screen and into the setup. I'll follow the above instructions and see how it goes, and post the results.

Edited by C. Fraser, 27 November 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 03:37 PM

You will not be booting from Windows, you will bed booting from the disc.  I know you can't boot into Windows, that's why I suggested this option.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 C. Fraser

C. Fraser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:50 PM

OK, things seem to be working at this point.  Thank you for your help!

#6 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

Yep, RAM will eventually get that chalky powder around the RAM headers and eventually reseating is always a first step.

i always reseat my GFX and RAm cards every 6 months because i have a pretty high end system and a lot of power goes through the board and if i dont i gtet all sorts of issues. Mainly with big GFX cards because of the weight of them and the way the sag.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

Let's hope that resolves the issue. :thumbup2:

If you need any further assistance, just ask.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users