Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows won't start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Lattices on

Lattices on

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hi

My PC boots up, offers me to start from safe mode/last known settings, but once it gets past the windows XP screen, it goes no further and seems to switch off (the lights on the front.of the case go out) I think it may be either the power supply or a hard disk problem. if it is the latter, am I able to recover some important files? There's also the briefiest flicker of a blue screen after the Windows screen, which leads me to believe it's a problem with the HD. Sadly, it goes away before I can read it!

Just wondering if anyone knows what it could be and whether Incan save my files!

Thanks,

Dan

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:43 AM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode by using the F8 key?

Immediately after pressing the power button start tapping the F8 key until the Advanced Boot Options open or the computer shuts down.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users