Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Deleting Old Operating Systems

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HEL_Master

HEL_Master

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

If i restart with the recovery disk but do not scrub my harddrive is it possible to delete the old operating system or move it/most of it to the new one, partly so i dont have to select it each time the computer starts up.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

You dnt want to format HDD? (Hard Disk Drive) I would say delete partion old OS is on or just delete the directory
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2006 - 06:24 PM

What kind of hard drives are you talking about? Are they SATA, IDE, SCSI?

If I am understanding you correctly, you want to use the old hard drive as storage in a new computer?

If they are both IDE drives, you should be able to hook the old one up by setting the jumper on the back of the drive to "Slave" and put it on the middle connector of the cable. Then you can use it for storage. You can delete the Windows folder if you want to. (Since it will no longer be used.) But if you can still use it, uninstall the programs first - all that you can. You will no longer be able to use their uninstallers once that operating system is gone.

If they are both SATA drives, you can plug the old one into the secondary SATA plug on the motherboard.

If the new computer has SATA as well as an empty IDE socket, and the old drive is IDE, you can plug the IDE into the end of the cable and set it as "Master."

There may be some problems doing this - for instance, if your old drive has NTFS file system and your "new" computer has FAT32, it won't be able to see the data on the drive at all.

But if they're both IDE, you can simply copy what you want from one drive to the other. However, you cannot copy programs from one drive to the other, only files. Programs will have to be re-installed.

#4 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 07:26 AM

Sorry i must have explained bad.. it is the one hard drive but different.. sections?.. if i put in the recovery disk it starts up a new fresh computer but i need to select it at startup, it is all on the one harddisk.. I startup, then its like the option menu when you push f8 except it says windows home edition for the amount of new ones i have started with the recovery disk, i had like 6 before but got sick of it and erased everything, i was just wondering if there was an easier way, a way to delete them. and their old files are on the program files and documents and settings of the new one.. sorry for wasting your time on your reply

Edited by HEL_Master, 04 May 2006 - 07:42 AM.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 08:41 AM

Now I'm probably more confused than I was before. You have different partitions? And you have operating systems on each one? And you want to move parts of the operating system on one partition to another partition?

#6 HEL_Master

HEL_Master
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 01:21 PM

I appologise im not sure if "operating system" is the right word.. whatever it is its another computer in the same hard drive created by the recovery disk

i.e

windows xp home edition A
windows xp home edition B
windows xp home edition C

etc.. etc..

I would see a menu with that on it before i startup, if i did not select one in 20 seconds it would automatically go to A.

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 02:28 PM

I suspect that solving this problem may be more than you can handle, but here's an article about it just in case. You'd probably be better off going to a computer shop and paying them the money to back up all your data and reinstall Windows and you data.

#8 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  

Posted 04 May 2006 - 03:40 PM

What I would do is just delete all the partitions and then format. Then do a clean install of windows. You will lose ALL files though.
Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users