Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen on start up.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Screwybuzz

Screwybuzz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:16 AM

On trying to start my pc. I get an error that explorer.exe has failed to start. With the error code 0x0000022. The screen then goes black and I all I have is the mouse pointer. I can get the task manager to load using CRT alt del. I tried going into safe mode and creating a new using account. This account gets the same error but loads with a blue screen.
I have run my norton internet security in safe mode and it's doesn't find anything nor does the norton bootable recovery tool.

I looked at doing a system restore, but the only date available is the date this problem started.

I have tried the sic /scannow command in safe mode and it finds nothing.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
That should be sfc /scannow

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tiempo

Tiempo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:54 AM

Hello Screwbuzz! It seems that your pc is infected, try to system restore it.

#3 Screwybuzz

Screwybuzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:33 AM

I did try the system restore. The only restore point on offer us ftom the dsy the fault started and it doesn't fix the problem.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:38 AM

What happens when you bring up the task manager with CTRL+ALT+DEL?  Can you click the New Task button and run EXPLORER.EXE?

#5 Screwybuzz

Screwybuzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:26 AM

I have tried typing explorer.exe into the new task and get the same error above. Unable to start.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:34 PM

Please do the following from safe mode with networking..

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

#7 Screwybuzz

Screwybuzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:42 PM

Sorry, but I have managed to really screw the pc up this afternoon. Found the original back up disc I created when I first got the pc. Tried using the recovery option on them, but it failed due to a hardware error, so now I can't access safe mode or anything due to an incomplete setup. The recovery did create a backup in a folder c:/ backup. Have no idea to to access it and restore the back up to get to where I was. Just slightly annoyed with it all now.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:50 PM

Tyr running a bootable diagnostic test for you hard drive. Seagate is known to run and support majority of mechanical drives but could also use the main support software like for Western Digital, Toshiba drives. See also list http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users