Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Making A Webby

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 danupsher

danupsher

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 02:43 PM

i want a website, that can be edited by anyone. i want the person to be able to add a description and a picture but nothing else

sort of like wikipedia, with but a nice layout,

i want it to be very simple, but i have no clue how to go about it. It would sort of just be a website full of profiles, where you can add you own profile, like your name, a pic , and a sentence or two about yourself.

Anyone know how i could do this?, (or if there are any scripts out there that are for this?)

remember, i want everyone to be able to edit everyones profiles, so that it is publicly editable.

Hope you can help :thumbsup:

Dan :D

Edited by danupsher, 03 May 2006 - 02:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 04:58 PM

A couple of obvious questions would be "what resources do you have available for hosting", and "what do you know how to do?". What you desire to do is not what I would call simple. You are going to need an interface to allow users to upload and edit; you are going to need a means of dynamically generating the webpage that displays the various profiles, as well as some means of storing the data. I am asuming that you are going to want some sort of log-in process so that anonymouis people don't just come along and alter the profiles in some way in which you didn't intend. You will need some need of validating content to make sure that content is not being uploaded that somehow goes against terms of service of your web host or ISP.

So maybe you want to start with those first two questions? It's not that it is impossible to do, it's just that if you are starting with no knowledge of anything, you will have a severe learning curve to overcome that you might find a tad frustrating.

#3 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 03 May 2006 - 10:58 PM

Hello,

You may want to check out FCKeditor. It's open source, highly customizable, and people can use it without having to install any special software.

You can find a demo with all the features HERE.

You must have administrative access to your host server, or at least access to Perl, php, asp, and .htaccess to take advantage of all the features. It is relatively easy to setup, and you can also do a minimum install, and just take advantage of the aspects that you choose.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users