Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 partition unbootable after premature chkdsk stop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rootcat

Rootcat

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

I tried to make the title as concise as possible. I was running a routine chkdsk on my Windows 7 bootcamp partition of my Snow Leopard Mac HD and left it running. My young cousin was over at my house, wanted to play games on my computer, and, not knowing any better, turned it off (it's a laptop, so he just held the power button down until it shut off) and restarted it.

After that first startup it was OK and everything worked correctly (my cousin was able to play all my games just fine), but I received occasional error popups in the taskbar saying "The file or directory C:\$Secure is corrupt and unreadable. Please run chkdsk utility."

So I said "Great, data corruption, I'll just run chkdsk again and it'll fix it." So I schedule the chkdsk and restart my computer...but then it immediately went to a BSOD and restarted, even before running chkdsk. The BSOD didn't look like a normal BSOD; it had less text on it, and it only appeared for like half a second before the computer restarted, so I couldn't read what it said.

It's just a partition, of course, so I still have my main Mac partition available (which is what I'm currently using to write this thread). Usually, though, the Bootcamp drive mounts on the Mac partition's desktop and I'm able to browse through the partition's files (as if it were an external HD), but now it's not getting mounted. Additionally the mac equivalent of chkdsk (which is called "Disk Utility") doesn't offer any help either.

So my first thought was, of course, "find the win7 install disk and repair from the disk." But of course I don't have my win7 install disk anymore because it was so many years ago. Moreover I have no idea what specific version of win7 I was running. I do have CDs/thumb drives/external hard drives lying around. Is it possible to make a windows7 recovery disk on a mac and then boot from it using that same mac?

If worse comes to worse, I have an old winclone of the partition as it existed like 2 years ago. Ironically I'd just made a note to myself a few days ago to take some time over Thanksgiving weekend to back up all my stuff again.

Thanks very much in advance for your guys' advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:30 AM

If possible...go to command prompt and run the chkdsk /r command.  Hard shutdowns routinely may result in file damage, one of the reasons such are not routinely done.

Can you boot into safe mode?

Louis

#3 Rootcat

Rootcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:52 AM

Hello hamluis.

As soon as I'm home I will attempt to boot into safe mode; completely forgot about that. The chkdsk will require several hours to complete so I want to be sure I can keep my computer in one place and turned on for the entire duration this time.

As a backup plan, I downloaded an iso from this page <http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/> for Windows 7 Home Premium x64, which I'm pretty sure is what I have (64-bit win7 home premium). I figured out how to burn that ISO to a disk using my mac (there's a built-in program for it), so if I can't boot my partition in safe mode to run chkdsk via command prompt, then I'll try booting from the burned disk and repairing the partition from there.

Thanks for your reply.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

:thumbup2: , good luck :).

Louis

#5 Rootcat

Rootcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:59 PM

:thumbup2: , good luck :).

Louis

Unfortunately, as it turns out, my luck as been pretty bad thus far!

Booting in safe mode failed. It proceeded through <Windows\system32\drivers\CLASSPNP.sys>, then it stalled for about 6 or 7 seconds, then it did the same thing it's been doing during a normal startup--blinking a BSOD that appears for such a short time I can't even read it, and then restarting.

So I tried booting from my homemade recovery CD. And that worked successfully! Buuuuut it couldn't identify any partitions when it prompted me to select one (said if nothing showed up to select drivers to install; I had no idea what that meant), and so without any partition to operate upon, Startup Repair failed with an unknown error. I also tried using the command prompt on the recovery CD and navigating to "C:" (which is what my windows partition calls itself) and then running chkdsk /r, but that didn't work either--it returned "The directory cannot be found."

So the first thing I figured was that I'd downloaded the wrong ISO, since I was trying to recall my OS from memory and my memory is plain awful sometimes.

I rebooted into the corrupt partition and held F2 (which still works even though my machine is a macbook, miraculously) to bring up the boot order screen, and as it turns out, my partition is actually Windows Vista Business (64-bit). At least I thought so. See the next post.

The one piece of good news, though, is that I've confirmed that I can successfully burn a homemade, bootable recovery disk using my (primary and still perfectly healthy) mac partition given a working ISO. Unfortunately that page I mentioned in my post above only has ISOs for versions of windows 7. Where can I find an ISO for my version of Windows Vista?

If there's anything else you think I should try, I'm all ears. Happy Thanksgiving--I'm certainly thankful for your guys' help. :santa:

Edited by Rootcat, 28 November 2013 - 12:52 PM.

#6 Rootcat

Rootcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 12:06 AM

Actually wait, now that I think about it, that couldn't be, because here on bleepingcomputer.com I made an earlier thread about a virus removal on this same partition, which at the time was identified (in the scan logs like DDS, for example) as Windows 7 Home Premium. Is there any possibility the boot order screen would show me the wrong OS? It was on the boot order screen that it gave me the option:

Windows Vista ™ Business (Recovered)

If it isn't that I downloaded and burned the wrong ISO when I made my homemade recovery disk, then I dunno what else to try. :(

Edited by Rootcat, 28 November 2013 - 12:09 AM.

#7 Rootcat

Rootcat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 11:45 AM

Any more ideas about this? I'm running out and I'm starting to get desperate (and creative).

I'm going to try seeing if I can't somehow boot windows from an external drive to repair my main drive (I know windows normally hates running on external drives, so I'm not too hopeful about this one). Otherwise I can try to boot my machine in Target Disk Mode (which, for those of you unfamiliar with macs, is basically a mode wherein the mac allows its internal hard drive to be mounted as an "external drive" on other machines to which it is connected via firewire) and hook it up to another, functional PC.

If I can just run a chkdsk on the partition, I'm sure it can be fixed without further complication. The problem is finding a working system that can successfully locate the partition and repair it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users