Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 no longer loading after failed Microsoft update

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Tikoxi

Tikoxi

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:21 PM

What started as a crippling annoyance has escalated out of control. Windows auto updater, the bane of my existence, downloaded a patch and forced my computer to restart. Somewhere during that process, my laptop ran out of power and died, and upon rebooting, would load to configuring update, only to proceed to configuring failed, revoking changes or something to that effect. It would hang there for as long as I was patient to wait for it, which was a good half an hour. I proceeded to do shut it down and attempt a system repair, which apparently was successful, but I still had the same problem. I then went to system backup, only to find to my immense concern that there wasn't a restore point at all (which is unusual because the last time I did a system restore, I had several) I then proceeded to attempt multiple means to fix things, with only running in safe mode with networking to allow me to log in. Eventually it offered to run a CHKDSK scan, which apparently found and cleaned a metric ton of files in a variety of manners, but now it won't load at all. Trying to boot it in any mode causes the laptop to hang indefinitely on the windows logo, attempting to repair the operating system with the installation disk merely causes it to search endlessly for an operating system to repair, despite having found one flawlessly before the CHKDSK scan - I'm now attempting to run a startup repair with the F8 menu, but it is currently searching endlessly for problems.

I'm incredibly stressed out by this. I have most of my files backed up, but this laptop came with a copy of windows office installed, and I don't think I have the disks for it. If I do a complete reinstall of the OS, I'm fairly sure I'll lose all the core programs from office which I sorely need. Is there any other ways I can try and load this OS at all and force the computer do redownload the update or even just generally work.

If and when this all works again, is there a way to turn the auto-updater off? I'm sick and tired of dealing with BS like this.

Really just starting from scratch if necessary would help. I'm freaking out.

*Edit* After eventually getting sick of the repairer, I attempted to restart it and let it load in normal mode - to which it hung on the starting windows screen for a good 5-15 minutes (wasn't watching the clock) until it suddenly gave me a blue screen of death and restarted, eventually ending back up in the repairer which I am likely going to let run overnight. I'll update results in the morning.

Edited by Tikoxi, 26 November 2013 - 10:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:56 PM

Hi Tikoxi. Try running system file checker in command prompt if you happen to have a repair disc. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/139810-sfc-scannow-run-command-prompt-boot.html

Tekken

#3 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:23 AM

I'll try this again, but the last time I attempted this (for different reasons) I wuold get stuck between steps 4 and 5. When it asks me to choose an operating system to repair, it just searched endlessly.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:40 AM

I would try running a hard drive diagnostic test before anything else just to make sure it coincides with only a corrupted windows system and not a faulty hard drive.

Tekken

#5 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:08 AM

Yea, I get that this /scannow is supposed to take some time, but its been on 'beginning system scan' for 3 hours now. Is this normal? O.o How long does it normally take?
Also,how does one go about a HD diagnostic?

*edit* Also, everything only borked beyond redemption after CHKDSK 'cleaned' my D drive where the OS should be installed. I don't *think* this would be a hardware problem

Edited by Tikoxi, 27 November 2013 - 09:11 AM.

#6 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

RE-edit* Now the command console running the /scannow is frozen. I can 'fullscreen' it, but I can't give it commands, nor close it.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:44 AM

Notice:  SeaTools for DOS will run on all manufacturer's hard drives, but may not recognize the hard drive if the Storage Configuration is not set in a configuration which SeaTools will recognize. 

If the motherboard has a Intel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to AHCI.

If the mohterboard has a Marvel SATA controller the storage configuration for SATA must be set to IDE.

To determined how your storage is configured open the Device Manager and click on IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.This will expand the tree allowing you to see your storage configuration.

If you need to change the configuration you will have to go into the BIOS to make the change.

Please download SeaTool for DOS.

When the SeaTools for DOS website opens click on I Accept, then click on the Download button in step #4.

This download is a ISO image which you will need to burn to a CD in order to create a bootable disc with which to run the diagnostic tests.

To burn this ISO file to a CD or DVD please downlaod ImgBurn and install it.

Insert blank CD or DVD into your CD/DVD drive.

Open ImgBurn, and click on Write image file to disc.

ImgBurn1_zps715cb1c2.png

Click on the Browse for a file icon:

imgb1_zpsbb69e759.png

Right click on the Start orb startorb_zps06e1f985.png, then click on Downloads.  Scroll down to the SeaTools for DOS download and click on it.  This will load the ISO image, you will see the information listed as it is in the image below outlined in red.

imgb2_zps3f021ae7.png  

Click on the blue arrow (also outlined in red) to start burning the bootable CD.

Once the disc is created load it in the CD/DVD drive and restart the computer.

Please note:  You may need to change the boot order in the BIOS so the CD/DVD-ROM is the first device in the boot order, and the hdd is the second device.

Please run the long test and include the results in your next post in this topic.

Edited by dc3, 27 November 2013 - 11:45 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:36 PM

ran the test, and I hope I'm typing out the right results:

Started long test 11/27/2013 @ 11:00.08

WDC WD5000BPKT-75PK4T0 WD-WXF1E32WYME3

Started Short DST 11/27/2013 @ 12:3318

Short DST FAILED 11/27/2013 @ 12:33.26

Long Test FAILED 11/27/2013 @ 12:33.44

If there's other information I should have copied, let me know.

Edited by Tikoxi, 27 November 2013 - 01:38 PM.

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:31 PM

What you posted is pretty conclusive, the hdd has failed.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:38 PM

well when I got this computer, it came with a bunch of software installed on it. I still have the windows 7 installation disk and the other called 'resource disk' whatever that means. If I replace the HDD, are both of those going to essentially reset the computer to it's out of box condition, or do I need to go out and buy the software again, or talk to the manufacturer, etc etc...

Actually how do I even tell what sort of a hard drive it is? All I have listed on the computer specifications and the order form is "750GB 7200RPM SATA 3Gb/s" which only comes up with a dozen different HDDs. >.> Am I missing something?

Edited by Tikoxi, 27 November 2013 - 02:45 PM.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,266 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:46 PM

You can get whatever size (in GB)...whatever brand...hard drive you like today...as long as it has SATA connection and is 2.5 inches (made for notebooks/laptops).  Desktop hard drives are generally 3.5 inches across and will not fit in a laptop..  The two top manufacturers today are Seagate/Samsung and Western Digital...neither produces "better" drives than the other, in spite of some opinions that members/users may have.

Examples

Louis

#12 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:06 PM

Well that's oddly simplistic for my understanding of PC architecture - and bizarrely helpful and relieving. Thank you.

Now to figure out if I still own the license to Microsoft Office, amongst other things >.>

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:46 PM

I still have the windows 7 installation disk and the other called 'resource disk' whatever that means.

The recovery or OEM disc with media disc might have come bundled with Microsoft office starter.

Tekken

#14 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:28 PM

Good to know.

I can lay my hands on a harddrive easily enough, and I know someone who works with computers so he can install the drive for me. Thanks for the help peeps, for what it was worth.

#15 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:06 PM

Ok, Please do post back of the results. :thumbup2:

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users