Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows C drive size vs Drivers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teatrap

teatrap

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:20 PM

Just noticed this on the computer I'm using :

kEHDgG0.png

Not sure why the C drive is so small compared to the Drivers? I'm not even sure what the drivers drive is... I thought it usually said recovery there? 

If anyone has any light they could shed that'd be ace. 

Operating system_Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (9600)
CPU_Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard_Hewlett-Packard (1966)
RAM_12063mb
Hard Drive_931gb (HGST HTS541010A9E680)
Graphics card_Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Sound card_IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:52 PM

Those C and D drive are the same physical drive, just seperate into 2 partitions. I think your HDD is about 500GB so this is good.

Normally, the C drive partition is smaller than other because its main purpose is to store OS files, which is normally about 20GB, plus some of your files, then it will not more than 100 GB. And your DRIVERS partition is a partition use to store files, or drivers,etc. These can be change later but need reformatting of all partitions.

And the word DRIVERS there can be change by going to properties menu because it is just a volume name of the partition.

Thank you.

Edited by Sirawit, 26 November 2013 - 11:56 PM.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

#3 teatrap

teatrap
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:54 AM

Oh right -  well on my computer this is how it looks :

NF95gxa.png

I have the C Drive with everything on it then there's a recovery partition. 

Also - the (D: ) Drivers Partition on the other computer is completely empty which confuses me a bit. At the moment it's not being used - If i just delete this partition will that create more space in the C drive? Is there a reason not to do that? 

Thanks. 

Operating system_Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center (9600)
CPU_Intel® Core™ i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz
Motherboard_Hewlett-Packard (1966)
RAM_12063mb
Hard Drive_931gb (HGST HTS541010A9E680)
Graphics card_Intel® HD Graphics 4600
Sound card_IDT High Definition Audio CODEC

#4 Sirawit

Sirawit

Bleepin' Brony

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:12 AM

It just the way the shop or the user choice to create the partition. In the first place the HDD is purchased, normally it will have 1 parition, then reformat it and seperate into 2 or more parititons. You can do that by yourself, but all data will be lost. You can use some tools to manage partitons without data loss, but I'm not sure, you can google to see the proper instructions.

If you delete the RECOVERY partition, the C drive won't increase its size, you need to repartition it. I think your RECOVERY partition is the place OS or your backup program store the information, actually it is quite not safe to save all information in the parititon OS is store, in case of OS reinstall you will lost all data, up its but to the user. This is why you have RECOVERY patition there in case of failure. And I think you 900GB partition have a plenty lot of space.

Thank you.

If I don't reply back to you in 2 days, feel free to send me a PM.

“You’re lying… just like you were lying to me before. You have to hate me. I’ve been the worst daughter in the world… you should hate me.”

“But I don’t, Nyx. Because, Nyx, I’m your mother, and a mother will always love her daughter, no matter what.” -Past sins by Pen stroke.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users