Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Greetings and HD fail notice

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 rkilmer214

rkilmer214

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:28 PM

Hello, thanks for the invitation to introduce myself and post my thread.

Over the past weeks, I've followed some threads and downloaded great tools that have worked so far to get my machines back from the brink. Thank you!

I continue to get the BSOD with my Dell laptop. It's an Inspiron N5110 with an Intel Core i5 that I bought 2 years ago. It ran great for a year and survived a couple of nasty falls. But, when I accidentally dropped my substantial headphones on the keyboard/Touch Pad, it stopped recognizing the HD (which is mounted beneath) at startup. I removed the HD (WD Scorpio Blue HDD Model: WD6400BPVT) and tested it on another machine and had the same result. I determined it to be dead from the impact

In February 2013, I replaced the HD with a hybrid drive (SATA-300 500GB SEAGATE MOMENTUS XT - refurbished). It started right up and I reinstalled Windows 7, etc. It performed just great although seemed to put out excessive heat. Around August 2013 I started to get warnings that the HD may be failing and suggestions to back it up to avoid data loss. I've backed it up and when I run the Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment, I get the following result:

Error Code 2000-0142

Validation 40888

Status = 7

HD0-DST Short Test

Results: FAIL

Did I make the wrong choice of replacement hardware?

Rick

Edited by hamluis, 27 November 2013 - 11:26 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:24 PM

I guess you could say you made the "wrong choice" as you bought a refurbished hard drive. HDD's have a limited life span and if you buy a 2nd hand one you are buying trouble. False economy. Under warranty still?

The drive is quiche... not much else to do mate but get another one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users