Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SW Synth volume maxing out/resetting by itself.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Gaiser

Gaiser

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:17 PM

I'm not sure if this should be in the gaming forum or not. It's not directly related to gaming--it's more of a general volume control issue--but it does involve games. A moderator can move this topic if they feel it's appropriate.

I'm running Win XP Home. Every time I boot up a game that uses MIDI music (I play a lot of Doom), the MIDI volume maxes out. The strange thing is, when I open up volume control, the volume slider for SW Synth isn't always pushed up to the top. Sometimes it's much further down, like it should be, and when it's slid down low like that, the mere act of clicking on the slider seems to make the computer remember that it's not supposed to be that loud, and it turns the MIDI volume down. I don't even have to move the slider at all, if the slider is already pushed down low: just clicking it seems to force it to register what the SW Synth volume is actually set to. Basically, it's like the computer just uses this default, blaring volume for MIDIs unless I actually touch the SW Synth volume slider.

That wouldn't be too annoying, except that every time the game switches to a different song, the MIDI volume goes right back up again. It's like something weird is happening during MIDI initialization now.

The trouble seemed to start after installing Anvil Studio for the first time yesterday. I've since uninstalled Anvil, but the problem persists. I wonder if something was installed along with Anvil that hijacked my MIDI volume control settings.

I tried different pairs of headphones--one USB and one with a standard headphone jack--and the problem still persisted.

If the problem can't be undone, is there at least some sort of software I could install that might override anything else that's controlling the synthesizer volume, that would allow me to force it to remain at a consistent volume?

If more information is required, please let me know. Any help is highly appreciated.

Edited by Gaiser, 26 November 2013 - 07:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

system restore will fix this, if you have a date not too far back.... can always be un-restored if you have a problem after.

#3 Gaiser

Gaiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 06:51 PM

I attempted a System Restore using a date prior to the installation of Anvil Studio, but the problem persists. Perhaps it had nothing to do with Anvil after all. So now I really have no leads as to what the culprit is.

Oh well. Thank you for your assistance. I've simply used the in-game audio sliders to force the music down as quiet as possible, and have turned the sound effects higher, as I still seem to have WAV control via the Windows volume control panel. It's not really a fix, but it's an acceptable workaround.

If anyone has any other suggestions, however, feel free to let me know.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:05 PM

Could try uninstall Windows Media Player. the two are linked together in some sort of screwed up Windows logic/feature.

Can't think what else has control over it by default, besides the volume console of course... It's the only MIDI device also?

#5 Gaiser

Gaiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Sorry for the late reply.

Correct. Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth.is the only MIDI device.

I haven't tried uninstalling Windows Media Player yet. I'll update this topic if/when I do so.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users