Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with fixing Windows 8 after virus Attack.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cubiche1827

cubiche1827

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:37 PM

I was able to get rid of the virus ok, but after getting rid of it it removed the background, removed the programs pined to the taskbar, and the Start screen is completely empty of programs and apps. When I use Combofix it fixes everything, but after a shutdown or restart everything is missing again. Can anyone please help me?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cubiche1827

cubiche1827
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:48 PM

Please?!

#3 dark.knight

dark.knight

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:45 PM

first question is the win8 you installed a genuine one? (did you buy it?) or did you download it from some torrent site and install as a copy?

if so then after updating the win8 it was recognized as a unlicensed copy which caused the black desktop pic on your monitor and i assume a watermark in the bottom right corner saying "windows not genuine"

#4 cubiche1827

cubiche1827
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:24 AM

No watermark. This laptop came pre-installed with Windows 8, so it's Genuine. Also says Activated in the PC Info where it shows the CPU and RAM. The weird thing is when I run Combofix, it fixes everything, but when I restart or shutdown, it messes up again. Might it help if I uploaded the combofix log?

#5 dark.knight

dark.knight

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

aaaham, sorry about that it was the first thing that came to my mind as a possible cause. to be hoenst i never had that particular problem with win7 (i'm still not on win8) i will have to ask a friend or you can wait for a reply from one of the people using win8, if i can i will get back with a reply as soon as i get one myself. 

#6 FlemmingK

FlemmingK

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:07 AM

I was able to get rid of the virus ok, but after getting rid of it it removed the background, removed the programs pined to the taskbar, and the Start screen is completely empty of programs and apps. When I use Combofix it fixes everything, but after a shutdown or restart everything is missing again. Can anyone please help me?

Hi Cubiche

Why not just reinstall windows? Your laptop should have a recovery partition, or it should come with an install disk.

BR

FlemmingK

#7 cubiche1827

cubiche1827
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

The laptop isn't mine, it belongs to a customer. I was ust trying not to to have to reinstall and wipe everything. I tried using the Win8 feature where you can "Refresh" the OS and all I ended up doing was removing all the apps that were installed on the machine but still gave me the back ground issue and taskbar pins missing and Start window blank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users