Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random question for curiosity sake

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 05:24 PM

Here's a random question for everyone. To start, this has already been resolved and I'm looking for reasons to why.. Google doesn't quite have this one and I can't stop being perplexed by the unknown.

1) The computer's hard drive was just DBAN'd from a disk, using the same disk that attempted to install.

2) Used a bootable WinPro x86/x64 (attempted both) from a multiboot USB --- Apparently old tech (HP dc5000) can't handle Win7 from USB.. Hardware not supported error.

3) Used a bootable x64 and newly made x86 DVD that had been verified in other computers --- hangs on black screen with an underscore upper right, then something about no bootable drive (continuously tried to rollover to blank HDD when booting from DVD).

4) I had a computer with working parts, working disk drive(s) (swapped with others) that was registered by the BIOS.

5) Used the x86 install disc with the HDD in another computer and it installed fine.

6) Using the same hardware, I'm able to boot to an OS from another HDD and the DVD drive still registered and could be read from the OS.

So what possibilities could cause a computer to fail to boot from a disk that's verified with tech that's verified, then boot to OS and act like nothing happened?

The two things I can think of as possible causes are the 3 blown/bulging capacitors (yep.. nothing less than perfection), and random happenstance that ancient technology (and modern) likes to give IT professionals. 

If you've ever had this happen, I'd like to hear your story, if you have an idea I'd be interested in finding why.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:12 PM

Before you tried to boot from the USB device did you change the boot order in the BIOS to make the USB device the first item in the boot order, and the hdd the second?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Ingle

Ingle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:23 AM

No, I just went to the boot options menu. CD/DVD, USB, HDD is what it was when I used the USB. When trying to resolve the DVD booting, I disabled USB completely.

Booting to USB worked great, sadly Windows 7 didn't want to complete installation on an ancient (yet above 'minimum') computer through it and gave "Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware", from disc it worked though. --This was verified with 3 antiques, the USB was verified installing on a newer machine.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:45 AM

Try changing the boot order in the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 SteveSi

SteveSi

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 PM

Posted 11 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Does this help at all?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users