Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xfering Data To New Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 george321

george321

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hello. I have a HP6620 desktop with Win7 up to date. I have two hard drives. One for the OS and the other for data. The OS one is getting old and I want to replace it with a WD drive. How to I go about transfering the OS and system data from the old drive to the new one. Thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:29 PM

There's a number of disk cloning software available- ask 10 people and you'll get 10 different recommendations. Personally I prefer Easus Disk Copy. It's simple and very user-friendly, though its limited in options. But most importantly, it's free :D  There's also HD Clone Pro, which I've used as well and works great. Also free.

Something to consider is the size of the drive. A direct clone (300gb to 300gb) is simple. However if upgrading to a larger drive you'll need additional options- namely the ability to change partition size. I use Easus Partition Master for this. Free to use and easy to implement.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:32 PM

With a drive imaging program.  Clonezilla is a free program that will work, provided the new drive is the same size or larger than the source drive.  There are other pay programs available also, True Image and Norton's Ghost are two of the better known.

#4 george321

george321
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:55 PM

Thanks very much

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users