Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Doesn't Boot - Black Screen With Blinking Cursor

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 homepcsi

homepcsi

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:57 PM

Hello everyone. First of all, I would like to start off by saying I love your forum here. I have used it many, many, many times in order to resolve a problem I encountered here in our computer repair shop, so much props goes to you guys. :)

We have a customer's computer running Windows XP Professional that will not boot. After the Compaq splash screen, it simply hangs at an all black screen with a white blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I have already searched your forums as well as poured over Google searches and tried various things. The things I have already tried to no avail are:

1. Boot into Recovery Console from Windows XP Pro CD and fixboot/fixmbr

2. Replace RAM with new RAM.

3. Replace NTLDR file from a working Windows XP Pro machine

4. chkdsk /r

5. Used a guide here on your forums for using xPUD with mbr.bin on a USB. Not sure what was supposed to of happened, because nothing did after I followed all the steps. Completely unchanged.

6. I have also tried booting into Safe Mode, which also does nothing.

Finally, out of my own frusteration, I booted the computer to Hirem's Boot CD and used it's "Fix NTLDR Is Missing" tool using the first option out of 10 possible fixes and wham! Boots Windows first try. However, upon restart of the customer's computer I am again greeted with the black screen and a blinking cursor. I must use Hirem's Boot CD to boot Windows each time.

Obviously one would assume it's an NTLDR issue, but I am unsure where to go from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks,

hompcsi

Edited by homepcsi, 26 November 2013 - 04:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roodo

Roodo

• Members
  • 760 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:37 PM

Need more info on computer. Compaq with what onboard?

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 08:24 PM

1. Insert the Windows XP bootable CD into the computer.
  2. When prompted to press any key to boot from the CD, press any key.
  3. Once in the Windows XP setup menu press the "R" key to repair Windows.
  4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
  5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
  6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard drive. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer....
    copy e:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy e:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\
  7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

If this doesn't work we can start looking for other causes.

Edited by TsVk!, 26 November 2013 - 08:29 PM.

#4 homepcsi

homepcsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:33 AM

Need more info on computer. Compaq with what onboard?

I apologize for not providing that info in the original post. I will be at work in the next 2 hours, so I will check and immediately post back with that info once it's available.

4. Log into your Windows installation by pressing the "1" key and pressing enter.
  5. You will then be prompted for your administrator password, enter that password.
  6. Copy the below two files to the root directory of the primary hard drive. In the below example we are copying these files from the CD-ROM drive letter, which in this case is "e." This letter may be different on your computer....
  7. Once both of these files have been successfully copied, remove the CD from the computer and reboot.

I will try this once I get into the office. Thanks for the replies so far, guys.

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:41 AM

You can try this from a command prompt:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

#6 homepcsi

homepcsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:37 AM

Thanks, but like I said in my original post, I have already tried fixmbr and fixboot. Did not fix my problem.

#7 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:53 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:41 AM

an you try the fixmbr command with the /device option as in that link I sent you?

#8 Tiempo

Tiempo

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:05 AM

The best thing to do is to repair its OS. However if it doesn't work, the next option would be to reformat. Don't forget to back up everything. It seems that the hard disk is having a trouble.

#9 homepcsi

homepcsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:25 AM

I just tried this and unfortunately it did not correct the issue. Upon reboot it actually stopped showing the manufacturer's splash screen altogether and immediately went to the black screen with blinking cursor. My keyboard wouldn't function any longer and I have to manually turn the computer off and back on to boot to a CD whereas before, I could simply Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart. Don't know if that makes any sort of difference or not, I just figured I would be as thorough as possible in my replies. Still a black screen with a blinking white cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen.

an you try the fixmbr command with the /device option as in that link I sent you?

I just tried it again, with the /device option added this time with the same effect - nothing. Although it did restore the manufacturer's splash screen and keyboard functionality.

The output of "map" command gave me: C:\ NTFS \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1" as well as some other drives that aren't relevant to what we're trying to accomplish here. (such as floppy drives, etc)

At first I tried "fixmbr \Device\Harddisk0" with no effect. I just tried it again with "fixmbr \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1" and upon exiting Recovery Console and rebooting, I am greeted with "Invalid partition table_" instead. Don't know if I just made things worse or we are actually moving forward in diagnosing and repairing this issue...

Edited by homepcsi, 27 November 2013 - 09:36 AM.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:02 AM

It is possible that your boot.ini is corrupt. Try the following: In Recovery Console get to the C:\ prompt, not C:\Windows. Then type the following

attrib-h boot.ini  >enter

attrib-s boot.ini  >enter

attrib-r boot.ini  >enter

del boot.ini  >enter

bootcfg  /rebuild  >enter   Edit: There is a space between bootcfg and /rebuild

It will ask to add installation to boot disk. Press Y

It will ask to enter a load identifier. Type: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Under enter OS load options type:    /fastdetect  /noexecute=optin (space between /fastdetect and /noexecute=optin)

finally type:  fixboot  >enter

Reboot and see if windows loads. Good Luck.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 November 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#11 homepcsi

homepcsi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

It is possible that your boot.ini is corrupt. Try the following: In Recovery Console get to the C:\ prompt, not C:\Windows. Then type the following

attrib-h boot.ini  >enter

attrib-s boot.ini  >enter

attrib-r boot.ini  >enter

del boot.ini  >enter

bootcfg/rebuild  >enter

It will ask to add installation to boot disk. Press Y

It will ask to enter a load identifier. Type: Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Under enter OS load options type:    /fastdetect  /noexecute=optin (space between /fastdetect and /noexecute=optin)

finally type:  fixboot  >enter

Reboot and see if windows loads. Good Luck.

Thanks JohnC_21, but I wish I had seen this a little earlier this morning. The customer expressed that they needed the computer back quickly, so with the interest of getting her computer back as quickly as possible, I went ahead and backed up all of her data and am currently reinstalling Windows.

I will keep this thread bookmarked on one of our machines as a reference point in case I were to come across this problem again in the future. Perhaps one of these solutions would work on another machine.

Thanks again for all of your responses and I am sure that I will be asking another question at some point in the future.

Best regards and Happy Thanksgiving to all,

homepcsi

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:26 PM

Sometimes it is just quicker to re-install...

Happy computing :busy:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users