Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No valid digital signature for Bleeping Computers?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Charles

Brian Charles

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:03 PM

When I try to download Comboxfix from the Bleeping Computers site I firstly get a message advising: "To help protect your computer Internet Express blocked this site downloading files to your computer.

When I then try to bypass this by clicking "download" I get this warning : " This file does not have a valid digital signature that validates its publisher"......which is bad news!

Does bleping Computors not have a valid digital signature, or is my PC just being 'difficult'?

I am running 32 bit Windows XP Professional.

Help!

First time on this site. A 75 yr old South African who thinks he's still 45. (-:

Brian.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 03:43 PM

Hello Brian and Welcome -
First - We are all only 45, aren't we ? (You are not alone there ! !)

Next - Did you read the full page ComboFix usage, Questions, Help? - Look here for the latest information, and whether or not the program is suited to your situation ??

Quite often the program is just not suited to your problem, or particular Operating System.

There are steps that a trained helper can guide you through, and included is to disable your antivirus.

If you wish more one on one help, you can always follow the directions In This Prep Guide starting at Step #6.

Once the proper DDS logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it to => Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs area with any requested information.

There is no charge for the help offered, you just need to wait in line for a day or three (on average).

I hope this information helps you. If not, please feel free to post back with more questions -

Regards -

#3 Brian Charles

Brian Charles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply.
Mom hailed from Hobart Tas., so I can 'sing' Waltzing Matilda right through, and even know what a Jumbuck is! But on to the serious stuff...
As my computer literacy rates approx. 4.5678261/10, I shall desist from attempting ComboFix solo.
Being cautious re infections I have never downloaded files after being warned that the publisher does not have a valid digital signature, so would request clarification re the original question regarding the absence of a valid digital signature on (in?) Bleeping Computer files.
1) Will I get the same warning with any BC file I try to download?
2) Is the absence of a valid signature important or not?
3) If 'yes' should BC files not have this?
4) Perhaps they do already and the problem is on my side?
Re (4) I do have difficulty downloading Windows updates as IE security also blocks these and I have to do so manually, one at a time.
If the latter requires initiating a new thread I can do so on your advice, but would appreciate info on (1) to (3).
Rgds,

#4 Brian Charles

Brian Charles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:41 AM

PS I've got Internet Explorer 8.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 04:38 AM

Hi -

1) Will I get the same warning with any BC file I try to download?
This can not be answered, as we do not Produce programs, they are made by others.

2) Is the absence of a valid signature important or not?
We / I find it is totally unrelated in any way to these programs. Free programs mainly, can have an expired certificate, as a certificate is only issued at the time of creation.

3) If 'yes' should BC files not have this?
It is not related in any way, and programs like Combofix are still not just for random personal use.

4) Perhaps they do already and the problem is on my side?
I have no problem with 99.9% of the tools on this site, BUT, and this is very important, some are only to be used by experts in the manner that they prescribe only.

I am able to list several programs that will throw a Major Error back, because you use the 32bit version and not the required 64bit version -

I also need to know the exact date / version of the H.P system you are using -

Edited by noknojon, 27 November 2013 - 04:48 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 03:16 PM

FWIW:  BC merely is the host for any downloads which you may make from this site.  As stated, it has no responsibility for digital signatures re downloads of programs hosted because BC does not produce/develop said program.  In fact, if you read the the instructions provided by program developers/authors...they also may not provide digital signatures, even when the download is from the respective developer website.

Digital signatures are not neessarily something to be concerned about, IMO.  Some driver downloads may not reflect such...this has nothing to do with whether the the driver is a valid and originated from a valid website or download point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signature

Louis

#7 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 06:35 PM

You may want to check the date and time on your computer as well.  I've seen that error a number of times and sometimes it's just as simple as having a bad CMOS battery that keeps your internal clock up to date.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:29 PM

To download ComboFix...please click on the download link for ComboFix. When you click on the link you will see a download prompt similar to the one below.

"The publisher could not be verified...This file does not have a valid digital signature that validates its publisher".

Windows is issuing this prompt because ComboFix does not have a digital signature. This is perfectly normal and safe and you can click on the Run button to continue...

A guide and tutorial on using ComboFix

To help protect your security, Windows Internet Explorer blocked this site from downloading files to your computer
Internet Explorer Information Bar: FAQs
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Brian Charles

Brian Charles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

Thanks Guys, That clears it up for me.

I was under the mistaken impression that files that did not have a valid digital signature (which 'validated' the publisher) were to be treated with suspicion...based on Windows 'warnings' and blocking.

PC time and date checked OK.

Presumably if one's PC is not on and connectd to the net at the selected time , updates are stored and downloaded when one next goes online?

As far as i can see there doesn't seem to be any way of selecting an 'open' time for this operation...there are just specific hourly choices to be made from a 24hr 'clock'.

So much to learn...so little time!

Brian C

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 29 November 2013 - 04:34 AM

Understanding Digital Certificates & Secure Sockets Layer
How Does SSL Work?