Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC unusable after trying to reinstall Windows

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jaspeeuh

Jaspeeuh

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:14 AM

Hello,

My pc was always running perfectly, when all of a sudden it got a few notifications about the video driver freezing every now and then. After a few days the pc gave no signal to my TV, where I always had plugged it in, but it did still work on a regular monitor. Unfortunately, this only worked well for 1 day. After that the pc froze at the Windows logo when starting Windows. I thought my video card was down, but I also thought that it might have had something to do with Windows never being reinstalled since we bought the PC (2004?). So I thought I should first try that out. Now I have a problem that I cleaned up the whole pc, uninstalled Windows and tried reinstalling Windows, but when the pc has to restart during the installation, it freezes at the Windows logo. Also, if I try to run in Safe Mode it says the installation can't be completed in Safe Mode, which is quite reasonable. 

So far, the pc doesn't work with the TV at all, but it is working on the smaller monitor, more or less.. Still I can't use the pc at all since I can't get Windows working properly. I really hope that it will be possible to plug my pc in the TV in the future again.

Could someone please help me with this issue?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 10:04 AM

Since the computer works more or less with the small monitor stay with that setup until the more or less issues are cleared up

Then tackle the computer to TV issues afterward

So please explain what more or less means

--- Check Device Manager. You might have to update some drivers 

I would consider re-installing your OS again with the small monitor connected unless there is an outstanding reason not to

#3 Jaspeeuh

Jaspeeuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:20 PM

I meant that on the small monitor I do get an image, where it remains black on the tv. I can't do anything with my PC now, since I can't get windows 7 running. After the installation, when it has to restart to complete, it just freezes. So I can't get into my PC at all. I already formatted the whole PC, since 95% on the PC was junk, but now I can't get windows running on it at all. Could this have something to do with the previous notifications of the video driver failure?

#4 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:47 PM

I would still disconnect anything from the computer to the TV

Work only with the monitor that does work

Go to the manufacturers website and download/burn the drivers for your make/model onto CD-R's even if you have to do so on another computer

Then reinstall again; btw, how are you reinstalling?

--- Are you using an original system disk?

Once you get the computer to at least run check Device Manager for any items that might have an issue and use the appropriate driver from the cd to take care of it

It sounds like you may have installed a video card

--- I would remove and leave out out until the computer is running ok

--- When you get to put it back in do not connect the to the TV until you know that the computer still runs ok with the video card

That's when you can finally check out how to get your computer to TV set up to work like it did before

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 11:01 AM

What model system is this?

If your original hard drive is installed...I would not be surprised if that (or the CMOS battery) is the problem.  IMO, neither can be expected to function properly if manufactured/purchased/installed in 2004.

Louis

#6 Jaspeeuh

Jaspeeuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 12:53 PM

Don't know what an CMOS battery is, but I tried installing windows to another hard drive which worked on another PC, but had the same problem. The PC is a Packard Bell, model UTOW-AMA. It could be newer than 2004, it's just an estimation. Don't know what year it's from exactly

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:02 PM

If you bought the PC in 2004 & have never reinstalled the OS, how can you be running Windows 7? :scratchhead: :unsure:

Edited by Union_Thug, 27 November 2013 - 01:03 PM.

#8 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:20 PM

I would follow Louis' recommendation to replace the CMOS battery (It's a CR2032) and I would do that first first 

--- It snaps out and snap the new one back in. See if this video helps 

http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8&fr=slv8-hpd03&p=how%20to%20replace%20a%20cr2032&type=

Even though you had the same problem with another hard drive, if there's a CMOS battery issue that needs to be taken care of first. Then there's the question as to what condition the 2nd hard drive is in

That's a great observation Union_Thug

I tried to find info on Packard Bell, model UTOW-AMA and it appears your computer was originally an XP machine

--- But what is the original OS?

How did Windows 7 come into the picture?

Have you been using it with its XP or whatever OS it did have and decided to upgrade to Windows 7?

If that is the case having a video driver issue is very possible since the video driver you are using might not be compatible with Windows 7.

Did you run the Windows 7 compatibilty program?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 02:43 PM

System

Louis

#10 Jaspeeuh

Jaspeeuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 05:10 AM

The PC had Vista on it (it even says "Vista ready" on the motherboard" when it was bought, but I really didn't like it so that's how Windows 7 came in the picture. Also, the PC had been running perfectly on Windows 7 for the past few years.But I will first try another CMOS battery and see if it makes any difference.

#11 Jaspeeuh

Jaspeeuh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:32 PM

I replaced the battery, but when I try to install windows it still freezes at the logo after reboot.. Could it be something else?

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2013 - 01:51 PM

Of course it could be sojmething else...I'm looking at your original post and I can't tell what direction you should go, maybe others have an idea.

Louis

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,655 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:01 PM

To continue from where you are

How are you reinstalling Windows 7?

--- Are you trying to reinstall a Windows 7 upgrade, using an original Windows 7 OS or a Windows 7 OEM OS?

--- And I suspect the video driver is still involved

--- I still want to know whether or not you ran the Windows 7 compatibility program

--- If you can get the computer running again, if you have only 1 GB RAM, increase the RAM to 2 GB if the computer can take it

The following comments are from previous posts in no particular order

The PC is a Packard Bell, model UTOW-AMA with VISTA and it’s been upgraded to Windows 7

--- Even though the PC had been running perfectly on Windows 7 for the past few years things have happened; one of them being the video card plus whatever 95% on the PC was junk means

The video driver was freezing; you were getting notifications about the video driver every now & then

Then you had no signal to my TV

The pc worked with a regular monitor it only worked well for 1 day.

After that the pc froze at the Windows logo when starting Windows.

You tried to reinstall Windows but when the pc had to restart during the install, it froze at the Windows logo

Do you know whether or not the Vista video driver was compatible with Windows 7?

--- I know someone right now who is running with an incompatible video driver in an upgraded Windwos 7 OS and it will be just a matter of time before that does become a problem

--- Did you run the Windows 7 compatibility program?

On the computer specs from the link that was posted, it doesn’t appear to me that the computer was a good candidate to upgrade Vista to Windows 7

--- You probably have only 1 GB RAM. You should have at least 2 GB RAM

--- 1 GB RAM might be ok in the beginning but over time it isn’t for continued best performance

You replaced the CMOS battery and it didn’t help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users