Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Repetitive hard drive noise

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jay Ess

Jay Ess

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:41 AM

My computer will not boot, it tries to load windows into automatic repair but gets stuck in that and the hard drive makes repetitive noise. Occasionally it will try to load windows regularly and it gets stuck in the same fashion making the same noise. I tried loading up my windows disc and accessing the hard drive through the windows explorer ob the disc bit it only hung with the same noises still.

Here is an audio recording I took of the noise, it is loud so you'll want to turn your volume down
http://puu.sh/5tCZF.wav

Thankfully there is no clicking or thumping buy clearly something is wrong and I cnat open the drive case to physically see the issue (its a seagate and the case. uses strange proprietary screws) so I was hoping someone here knows the issue by how it sounds and can reccomebd what I should do if theres anything I can do at this point

The loud thump is my hand hitting the side of the case by the way, not any of the computer parts

Edited by Jay Ess, 26 November 2013 - 01:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:12 AM

Very characteristic failure sound, compare the first Seagate symptom recording here:

http://datacent.com/hard_drive_sounds.php

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Jay Ess

Jay Ess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:23 AM

Thanks for the quick reply

I can't listen to the sounds on my phone but if the first sound is just a head failure, that's the only problem I'm having and my data is still recoverable? Or am I being too hopeful?

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,953 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:32 AM

Unfortunately we can't really tell, it's just a quite similar sound. If your drive has a head failure, the exact nature of that failure governs how recoverable the data would be - an electrical failure where the head just stops producing any output will not do any other damage. If the head has been damaged by a strike (hitting the spinning platter surface), it's possible the data area can be damaged, and may suffer further damage the more the drive is run. IMO your best hope would be to find a professional data recovery service that offers a no-cost assessment. However your data would need to be important to you to consider professional recovery, as you can expect a high cost.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:05 AM

First DO NOT open your hard drive.

At this point you're probably looking at paying for professional data recovery, if the you are really serious about getting your data back.  I can recommend Kroll Ontrack if you decide to go that route.  I will tell you that I have not seen a drive recovered for less than $1,000.  The only drive that they were not able to recover for me was encrypted with BitLocker.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users