Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Crash

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 matt3948

matt3948

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:59 PM

Computer specs: 
Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.20GHz 31 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. B75M-D3H (Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz) 28 °C
Graphics
STD HDMI TV (1680x1050@60Hz)
2048MB ATI ASUS HD7770 Series (ASUStek Computer Inc) 33 °C
Hard Drives
932GB Seagate ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB ATA Device (SATA) 32 °C
112GB Patriot Pyro SE ATA Device (SSD) 30 C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 W ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device

Power Supply

CORSAIR CXM series CX600M 600W

I can play ARMA III on high to Ultra for a couple hours and have no issues, Though when I play Battlefield 3 on high to ultra, it will crash after about 2 games (half hour).

I've updated my CCC and my Bios. When I go to my event viewer all i get is a power failure ( which is caused by me resting the computer after it crashes)

The only difference i can think of is that ARMA is on my SSD with my OS, but Battlefield is installed on another drive that has Origin installed on it. 

The only other time it crashes is when I run Teamspeak + minecraft + Civ 5... But that could just be because of stress.

One last thing, when I run speedfan (to make sure it wasn't an overheating problem) i have "temp 2 " at 127 C which i know cannot be true, but I have no way of looking at what "temp 2" is referring to.

Also, I just uninstalled with driver sweeper and re installed my GPU drivers.

lastly, after updating the Bios, now it doesn't crash with a static noise, but crashes and reboots itself regardless of what hard drive the game is on.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:13 AM

Have you cleaned all of your air intakes and verified all of your fans are running?

#3 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:27 PM

Have you cleaned all of your air intakes and verified all of your fans are running?

Yes, all of the fans have been cleaned. Recently I took the time to clean every fan in the computer because of the crashing, thinking it would help.

Thanks for the quick response though :)

#4 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 04:13 PM

First I would ask exactly what the specs of your PSU are. ???

Have you tried testing your RAM? There's a free program called Memtest86 that you can burn to CD and boot with. It will test the stability of your RAM. If you get any errors during testing I would pull all but one stick out, and run each stick separately until you find the bad one.

You might also test your GFX with some benchmarking app, like PCMark.

Have you ever stress-tested your system??

Speedfan and other fan/temp apps are prone to false info- the best and most accurate data is what you see in the BIOS.

#5 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:10 PM

I haven't tested the RAM yet so i'll post back with those results. As for GFX benchmarking, i have used PCMark and 3D mark and it did not crash with either software. 

Thanks for the suggestion about the ram, will post back.

#6 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

First I would ask exactly what the specs of your PSU are. ???

Have you tried testing your RAM? There's a free program called Memtest86 that you can burn to CD and boot with. It will test the stability of your RAM. If you get any errors during testing I would pull all but one stick out, and run each stick separately until you find the bad one.

You might also test your GFX with some benchmarking app, like PCMark.

Have you ever stress-tested your system??

Speedfan and other fan/temp apps are prone to false info- the best and most accurate data is what you see in the BIOS.

here is the link to my PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048

And i ran memtest86 with no errors.

#7 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:21 PM

For starters 600 aint much for multiple HDD's and also the size of the GFX car you are using and i would straighht up say you would need more than 800 watt PSU.

Anyway bench testing in Windows can be achieved as well with a few simple commands run in esculated admin mode in command prompt.

Test CPU

winsat cpu -compression

winsat cpu -encryption

Then to get some sort of idea of the cards frame rate run this command and also post the last few lines.

Test GPU, a good card should throwm around 3000 FPS for the first test

PS: I always sue CoreTemp to monitor CPU temps.

winsat d3d -dx10 -disp on

Now also note when you run the assestment tool in windows, the HDD score will always be lower when you use a SSD and then a mechanical drive, it will always go to the slowest score based on mechanical drive.

Edited by JohnnyJammer, 26 November 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#8 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

For starters 600 aint much for multiple HDD's and also the size of the GFX car you are using and i would straighht up say you would need more than 800 watt PSU.

Anyway bench testing in Windows can be achieved as well with a few simple commands run in esculated admin mode in command prompt.

Test CPU

winsat cpu -compression

winsat cpu -encryption

Then to get some sort of idea of the cards frame rate run this command and also post the last few lines.

Test GPU, a good card should throwm around 3000 FPS for the first test

PS: I always sue CoreTemp to monitor CPU temps.

winsat d3d -dx10 -disp on

Now also note when you run the assestment tool in windows, the HDD score will always be lower when you use a SSD and then a mechanical drive, it will always go to the slowest score based on mechanical drive.

Okay, I took what you said about not having enough power and so I unplugged my disc drive. Crazily enough I did not crash in Battlefield, so thank you. 

do you think I should just wait and make sure that the 600W power supply was the issue?

Here are the results from the test:

444.08 MB/s

280.54 MB/s

GPU:

batch :              905.29 F/s

Alpha Blend      903.96 F/s

ALU                   357 F/s

Texture             380.04 F/s

Geometry         769.19 F/s

Geometry         1080.21 F/s

Constant Buffer 734.72 F/s

Total run:         00:00:46.64

Also, it there a "fix" other then buying a new PSU? I can leave my CD drive unplugged - but i'm not sure at this time that this will be enough to prevent future crashes. 

Is there an easy way to see how much power i'm using / need?

Thanks for the response! Really helped me out. :)

Edited by matt3948, 26 November 2013 - 09:50 PM.

#9 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 01:32 AM

Yeh any devices plugged in like (CDROM, DVDROM, PCIe ethernet etc etc) will chew power + RAM.

You would be tethering on the edge os power consumption but dont use the CCC overclcok feature in ATI.

CPU Stats look fine as does the GFX card number, a little low for my liking but thats ok.

A good PSU is like buying really good set of tires for the car, you can get the cheaper tyres which do the same job but they wear out faster. I would almost say that the PSU would be one of if not the most critical part of a computer as they can last years while CPU + GPU's can faze/Burn out with in months to a year/years.

Anything you can unplug while playing BF will help the cause.

#10 Netghost56

Netghost56

• Members
  • 973 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 09:17 AM

I would say you need an absolute minimum 750w with that system...

#11 matt3948

matt3948
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 05:44 PM

Yeh any devices plugged in like (CDROM, DVDROM, PCIe ethernet etc etc) will chew power + RAM.

You would be tethering on the edge os power consumption but dont use the CCC overclcok feature in ATI.

CPU Stats look fine as does the GFX card number, a little low for my liking but thats ok.

A good PSU is like buying really good set of tires for the car, you can get the cheaper tyres which do the same job but they wear out faster. I would almost say that the PSU would be one of if not the most critical part of a computer as they can last years while CPU + GPU's can faze/Burn out with in months to a year/years.

Anything you can unplug while playing BF will help the cause.

Thanks for the help, so far no crashes. I'll look into purchasing a 800W power supply over break. 

Everyone here has been a lot of help, thanks again.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:45 PM

FWIW:  What AMD Specs Re PSU

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users