Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I delete temp files?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LaLady

LaLady

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:39 PM

My   C:\users\my_name\appdata\local\temp   folder has 4600+ files in it!  Some going back to 2010.  Since this is a temp folder, can I safely delete the files?   Many of the files have 0 or 1 kb; others are larger, usually the ones ending with .txt.  I'm not hurting for space on my hard drive but keeping 4600 unnecessary files seems ridiculous.  Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:43 PM

Odds are they won't cause any kind of problem, and it won't hurt anything if you remove them.  Some are simply files used by  installers (logs reporting how things went during the install) or like the name implies a temporary file for whatever reason the software needed to create it.

#3 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:49 PM

Download Temp File Cleaner (TFC)
Alternate download: http://www.itxassociates.com/OT-Tools/TFC.exe
Double click on TFC.exe to run the program.
Click on Start button to begin cleaning process.
TFC will close all running programs, and it may ask you to restart computer.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#4 LaLady

LaLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

I downloaded TFC from http://www.itxassociates.com/OT-Tools/TFC.exe and clicked to run.  I didn't see a Start button but the program started running anyway.  It did not close any open programs.  When it was finished, I checked my   local/temp   folder & it had not been emptied.  Any thoughts?

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:38 PM

Try to re-download it.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#6 LaLady

LaLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:57 PM

I downloaded again.  Clicked start button.  TFC started running. Didn't close any programs.  Didn't delete files from my temp folder.  I'm closing down for now.  Will check tomorrow to see if you have any further suggestions.  Thanks for your help.

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:49 AM

Files in your temp folder(s) can be safely deleted after a reboot (some newly installed software or Windows Updates place files in your temp folder which execute at the next boot - after that they are not needed). If there are any files about which you are unsure, just move them to another location temporarily. But bottom line, go ahead and manually delete them.

#8 LaLady

LaLady
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 07:09 PM

Thanks.  I'll feel more confident  now when I delete the files.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:54 AM

You're welcome :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users