Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not starting normally, but starting from startup options menu using normal start

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tommypetersen

tommypetersen

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:37 PM

A lot of adware was downloaded to my wife's laptop, and I was trying to remove it.

The problems included Strongvault, some adware (coupons in several flavors) and a registry cleaner.

After ahving successfully uninstalled several programs, and cleaned up the adware, there were still remnants of Strongvault.  Whenever the Laptop started, it would attempt to install something, and the event viewer pointed to Strongvault.

I first ran Malwarebytes' AntiMalware software wich found some things I had not seen earlier, but the install rpoblem persisted.

I then ran "Hitman Pro" and after that the problems started.

If I start Windows normally, it stops and asks me to run Startup Repair or Start windows normally. 
Startup Repair truies to restore to the last good image, but the system restore fails.

I tried to start up in safe mode which works.

When going into the startup options, I can also start windows normally, and it starts up, but not with the usual settings, such as the see-through task bar etc, but things appear to work.

When the normal start fails, there are nothing in the event viewer to clue me into what the problem would be.

Does anybody have any suggestion as to what I can try to get some traces to see where things go wrong?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Trakeen

Trakeen

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:50 PM

Have you looked at msconfig?

Click start and type in msconfig and press enter.  Under the Services tab click the "hide all microsoft services" check box at the bottom and you can safely turn everything off, and then under the Startup tab you can turn everything there off.  This will at least boot cleanly and you can see how things go.

Understand some of these services and startup programs may be something you use all the time, so if there's something missing that you need starting up with the system go back through the services and startup sections and look for the one you want.  The biggest problem I usually see with people that are new to using msconfig are printer / scanner / digital camera related (Lexmark is usually indicated with an lx... listing, and hp digital imgaing for auto starting your camera / scanner software)

Just another road to explore if you haven't already.

#3 tommypetersen

tommypetersen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:51 PM

Thank you for the quick response, however, I have already tried what you suggest, I have even tried starting with just the basic services, which gives the same result.  Still I am able to go through the startup options and start normally.

Are there any logs aside from the event viewer I can look at?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,232 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 12:01 AM

Minitoolbox. can give you a pile of good diagnostic information in a text format, very human readable.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:44 PM

I suggest removing the registry cleaner.

Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2563254

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner FAQ, PC Support - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/registry-cleaner/a/registry-cleaner-faq.htm

I would suggest following such suggested removal...with a chkdsk /r and (possibly) running the sfc /scannow command (to replace any missing/damaged system files).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users