Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All my files missing after transferring to a new user account

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hankbapn

hankbapn

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 07:50 PM

Ok so I have a big problem...

I created a new user account on my PC. Then I transferred(dragged and dropped) all my files over to the new account, but for some reason now they are all invisiable/missing and cannot be seen or accessed.

I know they have not been deleted because the hard drive has the same amount of data space used and left over as before the transfer. I am using vista (64 bit)

The whole story…

Well it’s a big can of worms – that all started a few weeks back when my usual user account came up with the warning “The User Profile Service service failed the logon” Researching forums – the easiest solution I could find was to make a new user account and transfer the files over and delete the old account.  So I did this no problems and it worked fine.

Then I went away for the weekend and my wife used my computer, and when I returned and logged in it said “data could be corrupt do you want to run a system check”. Of course I said yes. Then it asked “do I want to revert back to a previous saved point”. I said yes.

Now this is where it gets tricky…

So my computer started up again from the previous start point. BUT this save point was before the actual date I had created the new user account where I had transferred the files. So therefore there was no user account to login it to.

I STARTED FREAKING OUT! I logged in to the other admin account (I always keep a spare) and found that the new user account was not active, but the folder was there and all its contents. Phew I thought and decided to start the process again and make another new user account and transfer the files like I had done a few weeks

before.  Did exactly the same steps. But after transferring the files I opened the folders and there was nothing there? Checked every folder in the new user account nothing there!

But like i said the data usage is the same and the data properties says there is 122 gigs in the user folder?

I searched forums but couldn’t find anyone with the exact same problem as myself.

I don’t know what to do!

PLEASE HELP ME FIND THESE FILES!

Lots of these I have no backups off, also to make matters worse I had only just imported video of my son's sports carnival and had not had the chance to back it up yet.

THANKYOU!

PS before you say it - yes no backups – yes I am an idiot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:03 PM

Did exactly the same steps. But after transferring the files I opened the folders and there was nothing there?

Do you have the chance of copying by externally the data before proceeding to this steps? Have you tried showing hidden folders as suggested in this link? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-PH/windows7/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Tekken

#3 hankbapn

hankbapn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:17 PM

That is what I am kicking myself about, why didn’t I back up all my data before trying these fix-it techniques!

That is the guide that I followed.  Like I said it all worked fine the first time.

And yes I have the show hidden folder box ticked, but still can't see the files and folders.

The only think I can think of that I might have done differently in the process...

The first time I transferred, I deleted all the document folders first from the new user account before copying and pasting from the old user.

The second time I think I just copied and pasted the old user documents into the new user folder (without deleting the ones already in there. I also don’t recall it saying do you want to merge these folders during this process either. But I am not sure. ).

But this guide says nothing about deleting the new document folders before copying and pasting... so maybe that’s not it either?

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 09:36 PM

Try this one instead.

Tekken

#5 hankbapn

hankbapn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 10:23 PM

Sorry I might be missing something, but will this "link" help me to get access back to my lost/hidden files?

It looks to me like a different guide for transferring files to a new user.

Like i said I have already done that part - and as a result the files are now missing.

I am trying to relocate or get my files back that I have moved.

THANKS

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

Ok. We need to be sure of the steps taken before anything else. Did you follow the exact steps 1 to 11 on the Microsoft Article 'fix a corrupted user profile - To copy files to the new user account"?

Tekken

#7 hankbapn

hankbapn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 02:50 AM

Ok Thanks!

I did all 11 steps.

But steps 8 to 10 i did a little different.

I read that i was meant to copy and paste, but my hard drive was almost full, and there was about 120gig of stuff in my old user account. So I did not have enough space on my hard drive to copy and paste a new copy of the files to the new user account.

So i dragged and dropped the files from one user window to the other user window. (SILLY ME)

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:09 PM

Ok, let us know how it went. :thumbup2:

Tekken

#9 hankbapn

hankbapn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 09:33 PM

It went bad! VERY BAD!!

This is the reason why i posted the original question. At this very moment my files are missing.

So this is what happened after I dragged and dropped the files.

I noticed they were removed from the old user's account, but for some reason they did not show up in the new user account where i put them.

They vanished in the transfer process!

But they must be in there - just hidden - because the data count for the new user folder is the same as the old user account.

So my guess is that they are not deleted - but they cannot be seen.

How can i make them be seen is the million dollar question. :scratchhead:

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 11:45 PM

I will ask for help for other possible solutions. Please hold on.

Tekken

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:00 AM

Can you right-click the users/username folder and see the size on disk?

Tekken

#12 hankbapn

hankbapn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2013 - 06:22 PM

Can you right-click the users/username folder and see the size on disk?

Sorry for the delay, i was away for a few days.

Clicked folder properties - there is 122 gig in the folder.

When i go inside the user folder and look at each folder size.

The (hidden) AppData folder has 122 gigs??

So I went looking deeper inside the AppData folder... kept doing folder data sizes... and followed the trail to

AppData/Roaming/MIcrosoft/Windows/SendTo

AND I FOUND ALL MY FILES!!

In my folders all waiting for me!!!

THANKYOU!!!

Such a simple fix! I dont know why i didnt do that before.

I did look inside the AppData folder last week but didnt look any further. Stupid me!

Thanks jhayz for helping me through this!

I have been so worried all week, and now I feel so happy!

THANKOU!!! :bananas:

Edited by hamluis, 09 December 2013 - 03:38 PM.
Emphasized result - Hamluis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users