Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Budget build

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Fraser32

Fraser32

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:43 PM

Want to build a decent machine that will smoothly run pinnacle or other high quality video editing software seamlessly without breaking the bank.

Currently i have an old acer aspire computer that is not running. It does not display an output on monitors.

So i have a few things to work with such as dvd drive, case, possibly hard drive, and possibly power supply?

I think cpu motherboard ram and graphics will definitely need upgrading. So what are my options for a machine that will run hd quality video editing playback, and what do you think ill be looking at spending??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:09 PM

For a budget machine you are best off buying.  The main reason being the cost of the Windows license.  You may be able to reuse the case, DVD drive and hard drive, but I doubt the power supply.

If you could give us an idea of how much you want to spend, we can give you a better idea.

Your basic pricing looks like this:

$300 - web browsing and e-mail

$500 - general use

$750 - casual gaming

$1,000+ gamer / video and audio work

Until you get into the $750 area you'll have a hard time building for what you can buy.  With the up coming black Friday and cyber Monday deals coming you may find a decent machine for a good price.

#3 Fraser32

Fraser32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2013 - 08:07 PM

Hey i have a windows licence that was a spare from my dads that he purchased for his work computers, i was hoping to build for around $500 :/

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 26 November 2013 - 01:49 PM

Generally you can get a pretty good gaming PC for around $750, but much below that isn't really good for much besides general computing tasks.  If your Acer PC is in a normal mid-ATX case with a decent 500W power supply, you should be able to get a decent PC since you will be reusing your case, power supply, hard drives (If they are less than five years old), and optical drives.

Motherboard:  MSI 970A-G43 AM3+ AMD 970 - Assuming you have a standard mid-ATX case and it can take a traditional ATX motherboard, this will work.  $66

RAM:  Mushkin Enhanced STEALTH 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - Should be enough for now.  $74

CPU:  AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) - Again, this should be enough for what you're doing.  $159

GPU:  ASUS R9270-DC2OC-2GD5 Radeon R9 270 2GB - If your video editing program can take advantage of the GPU, you can use this.  If you need a power supply, you may need to scale this down to a Radeon R7 260X.  $179

This is about $480.

Edited by DJBPace07, 26 November 2013 - 01:51 PM.

3939.png

#5 Fraser32

Fraser32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:50 PM

Awesome info! That all sounds very good! Will start looking into it!

#6 Fraser32

Fraser32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2013 - 06:53 PM

What do you mean by if my program can take advantage of a gpu?? How do i find that out??

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 27 November 2013 - 07:39 AM

Some rendering programs can use the GPU to accelerate rendering instead of relying entirely on the CPU.  This is on a program by program basis.  Pinnacle Studio, and Adobe Premiere, both support GPU acceleration.  AMD graphics cards use OpenCL whereas Nvidia cards use the proprietary CUDA so there can be issues if your program supports one but not the other.  Generally, if your program supports OpenCL, you're good with a graphics card from either AMD or Nvidia.

3939.png

#8 Fraser32

Fraser32
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

Okk i was planning on using pinnacle hopefully i can do a build reasonably cheap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users